Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Can Barnes & Noble Save the Book? It’s looking grim.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Can Barnes & Noble Save the Book? It’s looking grim.

"B&N has been offering “fire sale after fire sale” on Nook products: for instance, a free Nook Simple Touch along with a Nook HD+ purchase. Free books, free magazines, free apps. It smacks of desperation."

Oh wait, doesn't that river company already do most of the same things in it's Kindle division?  Sometimes I see these doom and gloom prognosticators and wonder if they even pay attention to what other companies do.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,954

Re: Can Barnes & Noble Save the Book? It’s looking grim.

It's funny, Best Buy is having a massive fire sale on iPads (Gen 3, one year old with the same hardware as a Gen 4 except with a 30 pin connector instead of a Lightning port, starting at $316 - nearly $200 off) and there's no blogs about their impending demise.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7.0 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7.0 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab

gb18 wrote:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/449841/20130325/7-incher-tablets-barnes-noble-nook-hd.htm

Some of these "comparisons" have to be written by people that have never seen the devices side-by-side. This one seems to have been written from year-old data sheets:

1. The NOOK HD is not B&N's first tablet. It's the first called "HD". Perhaps that's what is meant by that first line.
  2. The SGT 2 7.0 is now over a year old. There are certainly newer devices to compare against.
  3. "It seems the Nook displays much clearer view on reading books and watching videos." So does it or doesn't it?
  4. "Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 takes advantage with ambient light sensor and proximity sensor." neither of which really affect video display quality. I'm not sure about the proximity sensor. If mine has one, I don't hold it up to my head often enough to notice.
  5. My SGT has been running Android 4.1.1 for some time now. The NOOK HD is on 4.0 ICS I believe, not 2.3 GB. How old are the units being compared?
  6. You can buy a version of the SGT 2 7.0 with 32 GB, but it costs more (obviously) than the 16 GB version.
  7. There is a 4G LTE version of the SGT 2 7.0 available. Here again, you pay more for that, more like $350 looking at Samsung's pricing. A comparison of wifi models would have been more meaningful.
  8. The NOOK HD is available on B&N with 16 GB storage for $229, not $269.

If you're looking for a meaningful comparison of these two devices, that article is not it! I quite like my SGT 2 7.0, even after a year. There are reasons I prefer it to a NOOK device, but this article wouldn't have given me a clue!

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

And that's only about half of the factual errors that the author or editor could have prevented if they'd even done as much research as checking nook.com.

They got so much wrong that only a bare few facts are even correct.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" had a $219 sale at Best Buy on sunday.

I think iPad Mini is eating into sales of iPads, Nook HD+, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" quite a bit. All three will perhaps see big sales down trends in Q1 and Q2.

Google is set to release a $149 Nexus with a HD screen in July (rumors). So that will hurt too.

I think gloom and doom articles are quite fashionable now. However, this time the larger screen Nooks and Kindle Fires and even the smaller screen ones are in quite a bit of trouble.

bobstro
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

[...] However, this time the larger screen Nooks and Kindle Fires and even the smaller screen ones are in quite a bit of trouble.

I still think B&N's best bet is to not be overly committed to any particular device. I'm still hoping they put some effort into their apps, recognizing that there will be more growth in people using other devices over the long haul. Sell whatever NOOKs make money, but don't count on them for survival.

I was pleased to see that, for whatever reason, I can now read Wired magazine in the NOOK Android app.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,954
0 Kudos

Given that they just ported their headline feature (profiles) to the iPad app I would say that BN is indeed putting a little more effort into them.

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Given that they just ported their headline feature (profiles) to the iPad app I would say that BN is indeed putting a little more effort into them.

You can only use that feature if you own an HD/+, so it's not really ported, it's just accessible.