Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7.0 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab

FlyingToastr, agreed.

I'd love to see B&N and Amazon's breakdown of where their book revenues are coming from (iPad App vs PC App vs eReaders vs Tablets vs Android App).

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

5ivedom wrote:

FlyingToastr, agreed.

I'd love to see B&N and Amazon's breakdown of where their book revenues are coming from (iPad App vs PC App vs eReaders vs Tablets vs Android App).

Not sure they could.  I do all my purchasing from a web browser, and then may download to my Nook, a PC, or an iPad, or all three.  They really have no way of knowing what my primary reading device is.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

You can only use that feature if you own an HD/+, so it's not really ported, it's just accessible.

For now...

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Isn't all this tracked?

They really have no way of knowing what my primary reading device is.

I thought there was tracking of what device readers read on. That seems absolutely critical to understand where your customers are.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Re: Can Barnes & Noble Save the Book? It’s looking grim.

flyingtoastr wrote:

It's funny, Best Buy is having a massive fire sale on iPads (Gen 3, one year old with the same hardware as a Gen 4 except with a 30 pin connector instead of a Lightning port, starting at $316 - nearly $200 off) and there's no blogs about their impending demise.

I somehow think that Apple is perceived to be in MUCH better financial shape than B&N...

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Isn't all this tracked?

They really have no way of knowing what my primary reading device is.

I thought there was tracking of what device readers read on. That seems absolutely critical to understand where your customers are.

I'm sure there is some tracking, but given how many of us with e-ink readers keep our wifi off, how would they ever know?  The e-ink nooks don't gather data like that and send it to the mother ship on the rare occasion we turn on our wifi.  So they have partial information, and then they'd have to guess.  And what about all the folks on LCD devices (which are more often connected) using Mantano reader and other reading apps?  Or all the sideloaded books that don't get tracked at all?

I'm sure there are a LOT of books for which B&N shows I only read chapers 8, 17 and 30-32, or some other goofy configuration.  Amazon has no idea what I've read because I hardly ever use the kindle app.  And Kobo probably shows I buy stuff but never read any of it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think it falls into

Data you know definitely - How many people with only App X on this platform bought books.

Data you know somewhat - Which books were finished etc.

Data you can guess at - Where people with multiple devices and apps download books to.

Data you don't know - lots of stuff.

The first part is the most interesting to me. Given how many improvements Amazon and B&N make to their iPad Apps I'd reckon 15% or more of their book sales are to iPad and iPhone users.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"The e-ink nooks don't gather data like that and send it to the mother ship on the rare occasion we turn on our wifi."

I tend to think that for most people, even the e-ink devices would give a lot of insight.  Let's say you use the Nook app, rather than sideloading, for most of your reading on a simple touch, an ipad and an HD. 

By looking at which device is usually farthest ahead at sync, I think they'd be able to tell quite a bit about use patterns.  And I'd have to go look at the data tables again, but it wouldn't surprise me much if the e-ink devices had the data to calculate reading speed, time actively reading and reading pattern - hopping from title to title or really digging into a particular book.

If you use a few different reading apps and sources, or if you maintain an fbreader/fbsync or similar out-of-band position tracker, the data are going to be meaningless but I'd expect that it'd be so meaningless that the folks running the back-end would be discarding the data, and also that there are not a lot of folks who set up their own reading back-end. 

Then again, I've spent a lot of time lately getting tt-rss running in parallel with a fulltext RSS spider on the hardware in the house so that if newsrob doesn't get ported over to Feedly before Google pulls the plug, I still have a functioning crack pipe offline newsreading tool.  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

B&N would have to have a consistently working sync to glean any data from it.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I think the wifi/data gathering point is a good one. People who use their eink readers just for books don't need to spend any time connected to BN servers, unless they solely buy books from BN. If they do, I can't imagine that there is much data to be gathered in the brief amount of time it takes to download a book. If users don't buy books from BN, then there is no need at all to connect, negating the possibility of even gathering data. Personally I haven't connected for more than 5 minutes (total) over at least the past year. My BN recommendations are based on a purchase I made Winter 2012.