Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7.0 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab

msmoonlite wrote:

I think the wifi/data gathering point is a good one. People who use their eink readers just for books don't need to spend any time connected to BN servers, unless they solely buy books from BN. If they do, I can't imagine that there is much data to be gathered in the brief amount of time it takes to download a book. If users don't buy books from BN, then there is no need at all to connect, negating the possibility of even gathering data. Personally I haven't connected for more than 5 minutes (total) over at least the past year. My BN recommendations are based on a purchase I made Winter 2012.

Agreed.  I only connect my NSTG to get my magazine subs and free downloads.  Most of my other books are sideloaded from the NY Public library.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble Nook HD 7.0 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab

I think there are three things

1) What is the average user's behavior. I know we all tend to think everyone else is just like us. However, what is the ACTUAL behavior of Nook users?

If even 50% of them are buying regularly from B&N then that's valuable data no matter how they get it.

2) What is the break-up of ownership.

My guess would be that 50% to 60% of users use either just devices or just apps. That the data-killing/confusing mix of multiple apps and devices is rather small.

If a user only has 1 device or 1 app, then that's super clear-cut, isn't it. All B&N ebook purchases must be for that device.

I know the ratio that was discussed in 2009 was 1.1 i.e. the average user owns 1.1 ereaders+tablet devices.

Even if it's gone up a lot it's still at most 1.5. That would mean 50% of more people have just one device.

How many of those use apps?

How many users who use just apps?

I'd say 50% is a safe guess. Which also would mean that B&N has data for at least 50% on users.

3) Is the amount of data worth more than what everyone else gets.

Let's say we have a user who uses Nook for half their ebook purchases. That's still a LOT more data than anyone else (other than Amazon) has about their readers. What Publishers knows that amount of data about readers?

B&N and Amazon have BOTH book data and ebook data.

That lets Amazon come up with things like - Kindle owners buy 2.7 times the number of books of a non-Kindle owner. This was in 2009 or 2010.

Same for B&N I'm sure.

I think this is a very valuable tool. If I were B&N I'd track everything that could be tracked anonymously. And make it like Kobo Reading Life or something.

My guess is this is also why Amazon has Silk Browser (which routes everything through Amazon's servers). They want to analyze people's web usage and search engine usage.