Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
EastBook23
0 Kudos

Book Clubs and Discussion Groups - Locations Poll

Hey everyone,

With so many outlets out there now for Book Clubs and Discussion groups, I'm curious as to what people's preferences are in terms of location.

Who prefers...

Meeting at a  Barnes & Noble Bookstore?

Meeting at someone's house?

Meeting at a third party venue. (AKA Restaurant, Coffee Shop, etc)?

Online discussion on messageboards, chat and so forth?

EastBook23

Reader 2
ComfyPJs
0 Kudos

Re: Book Clubs and Discussion Groups - Locations Poll

I'm in two book clubs.  One is on line (Goodreads.com),  There are four of us in a private club and we read one book a month and discuss it on line.  The other book club is a group of 15 that meet every other month at our local B&N.

Melinda

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Enjoying the ideas of others in person is a great way to discuss a book. The local library is a great place to meet given there is usually a room or an area available.

I think the very best, most intelligent, and diligent book club group is the one on First Look.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Good question! I love discussing books with others any place I can. Face to face is great, but times can be a problem for some people. That's why I love the B&N discussions and those at GoodReads. We can discuss any time of the day or night, so it is convenient.  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

My face to face book club meets at a member's home so it doesn't really matter if we get loud or not. The men are forbidden to hover near the discussion (usually banished to the basement where they happily have a TV to themselves).  We also get to share a yummy home cooked meal. 

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I prefer online.  Unfortunately with 3 kids it's hard for me to go to an in person book club meeting or anything like that and most of my friends don't read so I can't even read soething and discuss with them...

Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

My face to face book club meets at a member's home so it doesn't really matter if we get loud or not. The men are forbidden to hover near the discussion (usually banished to the basement where they happily have a TV to themselves).  We also get to share a yummy home cooked meal. 

I've always found it odd that Book Clubs are typically female dominated functions.  However, I'm unable to pin down why that is exactly.  I reject the idea that it's because by and large females dominate the reading populace (even though that is the factual demographic).  Could it be the best books for group discussion are female oriented?  Perhaps... But then a hundred million high school English classes can't be wrong.  There are certainly enough broad spectrum books to be inclusive of both sexes to discussion.

Could it be that men and women ingest literature in different ways?  The limited exposure I've had to book club discussions I ultimately find unengaged and non-entertaining, seemingly to prattle on and over analyze silly points of discussion.  Meanwhile when I sit and talk one on one with a friend of mine about books we can talk for hours and hours on books and typically he is a SciFi/Fantasy guy while I'm more Horror/Non-Fiction.  I suppose what it is is that the essence of what we talk about is less story specific and more generalized.  We are more apt to pass along great story recommendations then we are to more deeply analyze and story we've both read.

Am I off base here?  Are there people who find that there is a sufficient amount of male participation in book groups?  Are there women who will not banish their husbands to the basement and instead welcome input into the group (constructive input not snide remarks to be fair)?  Does anyone know of some good male driven book clubs online or in person?  Book clubs to me on the surface seem like a great time, I've just yet to find something that fits right for me.

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

NJMetal wrote:

pjpick wrote:

I've always found it odd that Book Clubs are typically female dominated functions.  However, I'm unable to pin down why that is exactly.  I reject the idea that it's because by and large females dominate the reading populace (even though that is the factual demographic).  Could it be the best books for group discussion are female oriented?  Perhaps... But then a hundred million high school English classes can't be wrong.  There are certainly enough broad spectrum books to be inclusive of both sexes to discussion.

Could it be that men and women ingest literature in different ways?  The limited exposure I've had to book club discussions I ultimately find unengaged and non-entertaining, seemingly to prattle on and over analyze silly points of discussion.  Meanwhile when I sit and talk one on one with a friend of mine about books we can talk for hours and hours on books and typically he is a SciFi/Fantasy guy while I'm more Horror/Non-Fiction.  I suppose what it is is that the essence of what we talk about is less story specific and more generalized.  We are more apt to pass along great story recommendations then we are to more deeply analyze and story we've both read.

Am I off base here?  Are there people who find that there is a sufficient amount of male participation in book groups?  Are there women who will not banish their husbands to the basement and instead welcome input into the group (constructive input not snide remarks to be fair)?  Does anyone know of some good male driven book clubs online or in person?  Book clubs to me on the surface seem like a great time, I've just yet to find something that fits right for me.

My impression is that women tend to enjoy group "everythings".  From my perceptions, after women are married they tend to retain more of their friends than men and do (again, only my perception).  But I think we also NEED that camaraderie and girl time. We are also used to planning social events more. Most of the guys I know rely on their gal friends to arrange the social events. If we didn't do that I think they would just be at home watching football (however, they do seem to be able to do that).

A guy I know really wants to join our book group but the other members wanted to keep it all female. I'm single so I didn't really care but their reason was, "We can't talk about the stuff we want to talk about when men are in the room". Which may verify your perception of endless prattle but for us gals it is therapy.:smileyhappy:  He hasn't really been able to find a group either but I don't think he's trying too hard. But you could be right in wondering if women digest literature in different ways. When this guy and I talk books, I tend to speak more about the emotions and feelings the book has evoked in me and he seems to look at technique, facts, cause and effect.  One gal in our book club let her husband pick our book. Not a single one of us liked it and he was stunned; he and his friends absolutely loved it. 

Maybe your friend knows some guys who like the same books you two do and that can be the start of a group.  A book club doesn't have to be big, Even the two of you can make up a mini-bookclub.  The hard part is finding people who want the same type of book club and will respond to similar books. By type I mean, how you're discussion will go:  light? heavy? do we talk about writing techniques? story oriented? I know one gal who joined one that talked about sentence structure (it had a bunch of English teachers in it). Although everyone else in the club loved it, it wasn't a fit for her and she found it unbearable.

Oh! The husbands are banished to the basement because they don't read the book yet they want to sit in the middle of a bunch of women and talk about stuff that doesn't pertain to the book. LOL!  (which we do too but we also committed to the book--book club rule #1--you have to read the book).