Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
runslow
0 Kudos

Book club questions

I have started a book club.  Is there a place to go for questions about a particular book?  We are reading "No god but God" by Reza Aslan and "Destiny and Desire" by Carlos Fuentes

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Book club questions

Check the publisher's website and look for reading guides. If any exist they will be there but unfortunately, not every book has questions available.  If not, if you have one particular person who is the moderator for the discussion, he/she might be a good person to have some questions prepared. If not, perhaps each of you could prepare 1-2 questions in regards to the book that you think might provoke some conversation.

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

Check out www.readinggroupgudies.com

They have tons of titles with reading guides. They also have contests each month to win advanced copies of books. I've used these as give-aways for my book club.

Also, some books have talking points in them.

Good luck!

cork_dork_mom
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Actually, that should be Reading Group Guides, not gudies; it's a great site.

www.readinggroupguides.com

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

lol....... my bad. That's what I get for typing after too much coffee

cork_dork_mom
New User
jitterbugauthor
0 Kudos

Okay WS or JW whoever you are, this is cheating.  Read the books and formulate your own questions.  Did you think none of use are members here on B&N?

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

jitterbugauthor wrote:

Okay WS or JW whoever you are, this is cheating.  Read the books and formulate your own questions.  Did you think none of use are members here on B&N?

It's not cheating. The questions I've found on readinggroupguides.com are much more thought provoking. They also make a good back up when I run out of my own questions and have some time to fill. I'm all about saving time, especially when I've got so many good books to read.

cork_dork_mom
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

cork_dork_mom wrote:

jitterbugauthor wrote:

It's not cheating. The questions I've found on readinggroupguides.com are much more thought provoking. They also make a good back up when I run out of my own questions and have some time to fill. I'm all about saving time, especially when I've got so many good books to read.

I agree and somepeople have the ability to make questions up easier then others, its not cheating to get some help on questions that maybe you want to ask the group but you can't find the words to ask it the right way?  But you can see a list of questions, and say this one is like the one I was thinking about asking.  It's not cheating.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

The Reading Guides site is very nice. And I'm not so sure I would really classify its suggestions as "questions."

They more aptly fall into the category of "talking points."

Sometimes the trouble with a reader making up their own questions for a group, is in that it's prone to personal interpretation. Then you have everyone in the group saying, "Huh? Boy, I sure didn't get that out of it." Whereas talking points are more generalized. Things like what a school teacher would get in the materials that accompany a textbook or other learning materials and can be used to create tests.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
jitterbugauthor
0 Kudos

Wow!  Some people took this way too seriously.   Where is your since of humor folks?

shadowcat80 wrote:

cork_dork_mom wrote:

jitterbugauthor wrote:

I agree and somepeople have the ability to make questions up easier then others, its not cheating to get some help on questions that maybe you want to ask the group but you can't find the words to ask it the right way?  But you can see a list of questions, and say this one is like the one I was thinking about asking.  It's not cheating.