Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Book series that went sour but you keep buying anyway

In the tradition of CasperAZ...

What book series (singular or plural) do you read that has gone downhill, but you can't help buying the latest book when it comes out?

In another thread here, Kay Scarpetta was mentioned. I've read similar comments about Anita Blake. Some Wheel of Time fans say that only the first 3 out of 11 books were really good, but they still were disappointed that author died before finishing the 12th book (leaving another author to pick up the series). It's been said elsewhere that the Stephanie Plum series has pretty much run out of gas so it was surprising that Random House reportedly agreed to pay an 8-figure advance for two more of them.

[I'm not a series reader, so I have no personal opinions on any of these. I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere.]

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Book series that went sour but you keep buying anyway

Ok I wouldn't maybe use the word sour but a book series I bought the whole series despite that it got to a point the books got too much to read that would be Harry Potter.  I wonder who suggested to JK Rowling it be a good idea to increase the page amount from book to book? 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I am beginning to feel this way about the Dresden Files series (Jim Bithcer) and the Mercy Thompson series (Patricia Briggs).

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Sue Grafton's Alphabet Mysteries, or Kinsey Millhone series. It started getting tired right around "M is for Malice," maybe even a little before because there were a few books between A and M that were very dry.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum books even though they may be a wee bit long in tooth. When a new title comes out it's like meeting up again with a long lost friend and you can't wait to hear what she's been up to. Especially Stephanie! She's always into something and Evanovich's style of writing makes me laugh. To me this is the highest form of writing because I love a good laugh.

Diane Mott Davidson's books are getting a little boring but I'll probably read the next one that's due to come out

Crunch Time (Culinary Mystery Series #16) 

I hate to even admit this... but.... I have the latest in the Outlander series and I haven't even cracked it open. I think I haven't started it because I don't want Jamie & Clare's story to end. They'll be there waiting for me if I ever decide to read their story.

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander Series #7)  

cork_dork_mom
TiggerBear

Doug_Pardee wrote:

In the tradition of CasperAZ...

What book series (singular or plural) do you read that has gone downhill, but you can't help buying the latest book when it comes out?

In another thread here, Kay Scarpetta was mentioned. I've read similar comments about Anita Blake. Some Wheel of Time fans say that only the first 3 out of 11 books were really good, but they still were disappointed that author died before finishing the 12th book (leaving another author to pick up the series). It's been said elsewhere that the Stephanie Plum series has pretty much run out of gas so it was surprising that Random House reportedly agreed to pay an 8-figure advance for two more of them.

[I'm not a series reader, so I have no personal opinions on any of these. I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere.]

If two of your links weren't to Nook threads I'd swear you were following me around.You mentioned my top three right there. Had to stop reading the Scarpetta books when I discovered I had actually for 2 books straight been rooting for the bad guy to bump off the protagonist as messy as possible. Still reading the LKH books, but she's never getting hardcover money out of me again. I think I may be origionally responceable way back for starting that Wheel of Time gripe. They just got to taxing to read. Haven't gotten past 8 on the Plums, though I do have up 13 in the TBR pile. I'm on the verge of adding Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series to my list. For the past two I was compelled to buy them and read them but I hardly enjoyed them, there was a jumped the shark discussion on the last book.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Anita Blake series started to go nowhere in terms of the overarching story at about books 9-10, and I stopped reading at book 14. I kept reading the series hoping the it would regain some semblance of its former intensity and/or characters. But after reading about 4 books w/out any real progress, I quit the series.

The Sookie Stackhouse series has also shown signs of not delivering satisfying mystery stories, but I keep reading it because there's just 2 more books to go, and I want to find out how the overarching romantic sub-plot works out. In other words, I want to know who Sookie winds up with.

The Mercy Thompson books of late are also not as entertaining as the first 4 books. Instead of being a feisty, independent woman working in a man's profession as a mechanic, and solving mysteries because of the people she's acquainted with, Mercy has morphed into the happy and sometimes submissive mate of a werewolf. Further, the mysteries haven't been as complete or satisfying. The series turned at book 5, when Mercy 'mated' with the werewolf. So far I've continued reading the series because I think there are only going to be 7 books in total, and I basically want to know how Mercy's full HEA works out. She's mortal and aging while her werewolf mate is virtually immortal.   

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

The Blade Runner books by K. W. Jeter left me very sour.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

Jean Auel's Earth's Childrens Series.  Mammoth Hunters was a bad romance novel; Plains of Passage was just painfully boring (how many descriptions of fields of grain do you need); I tried starting Shelter of the Stones (which I got free) and couldn't make it through the 1st chapter.  Painted Caves will not be joining my library.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Back in the day when Ann Rice and Ledstalt? (sp) was the darling of the Vampire world, I found that it became to much, with book after book.  Yet I kept buying the latest release.  Also thought the Left behind series got to long in the tooth.