Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Book series that went sour but you keep buying anyway

I have read all the series here with much the same results. I will still read ones I skipped during dry spells of new releases when I am desperate for something to read.

Except for Harry Potter, did not get enough of them and they could be longer and longer and my household would have been delighted. One of those series we all read together and that makes its more enjoyable than it probably is.

Even our long time favorite Zanth series was not that enjoyable the last few years. 

Game of Thrones is our current favorite, if Martin would write faster maybe we could get tired of it. :smileyhappy:

One of my personal favorite series for light cozy reading is the Donna Andrews books, the first in the series Murder with Peacocks had me laughing out loud all by myself.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

With Zanth; author got sick, writing went down with his health.

See the myth series; author got cancer, lost most of his humor.

Some times when an author gets sick and their writing get wonderful. Some times crap.(shrug)

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

geatdanemomDT wrote:

One of my personal favorite series for light cozy reading is the Donna Andrews books, the first in the series Murder with Peacocks had me laughing out loud all by myself.

Now you have me checking out yet another series to read! Her books do sound good and thus have been added to my wish list. I must stay off these boards. I spend more time reading about books I want to read than actually reading the books!

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Now you have me checking out yet another series to read! Her books do sound good and thus have been added to my wish list. I must stay off these boards. I spend more time reading about books I want to read than actually reading the books!

So true, I had to stop reading the "reading now" threads because I had to have just about every book talked about.:smileyvery-happy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
Msmusicteacher
0 Kudos

I enjoy reading series - I, too, am enjoying the Game of Thrones series right now - I have taken a break between each book to make them last longer.

Sookie started out so great - but like one of the other posters I feel the last two have been a struggle to get through.  I'll keep buying them (not in hardback or when first released on ebook) but I sure hope they get better.

I still love Stephanie Plum - they are predictable but mostly they make me laugh.  Again, not something I would read in hardback or pay a premium ebook price for.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I loved the early books in Patricia Corwall's Kay Scarpetta series and looked forward to reading each new book in the series. After a certain point though they started to lose that early magic. Kay became too introspective and morose, Marino became angry and hostile as did Lucy, and Benton was arrogant and cold. Once you no longer feel any connection or like for the characters there is no point in reading any further. Having said that, I have read through Port Mortuary but don't foresee reading any new additions to the series. I simply dislike all the characters and don't care what happens to them anymore.

I also have read all Anne Rice's vampire series books except the last 2. These have remained good all through. Of course I did take a 15 year break before picking back up with Merrick. I just finished Blood and Gold with plans to finish the last 2. The characters still speak to me and I want to know what happens. Maybe because she has a larger cast of characters to work with so they don't become so flat and one dimensional.

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I enjoyed the early Diane Mott Davidson "Goldie the caterer" mysteries...until the JRK just got to be too much and Arch was a boring, spoiled brat.  I don't buy them, and I don't check them out of the library, either.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with the Stephanie Plum series, it's a great series, but now it seems to be pretty much the same stuff.  I keep reading because it is my understanding that she's going to end the series and I really want to know where Stephanie ends up, "Babe" or "cupcake".

I lost interest in the Outlander series back when Fiery Cross first came out.  Up until that time, I enjoyed it, but when they book hit, I couldn't get into it.  Maybe it was the size of the book, I don't know but I just quit, wasn't at all curious about what happened.

Anita Blake has certainly deviated, but for whatever reason, I keep reading.

I lost interest in Sookie Stackhouse long before it became a big hit and a TV show. Back sometime in 2006.

Some series that I still eagerly await:

"In Death" by J.D. Robb

"Carpathian" by Christine Feehan

Series that are hanging in there:

Jack Reacher by Lee Child

Mitch Rapp by Vince Flynn - (although I do refuse to pay $14.99 for it, so I'm waiting)

Series books I have waiting in the wings to determine how they are going:

Repairman Jack by F. Paul Wilson

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch Series, I got bogged down when Harry retired.  But, I still plan on at least reading the next one.

Dark Hunters by Sherilyn Kenyon

In some series, each book focuses on new individuals with previous characters making cameo appearances.  I like these, but I wish the authors of those books would write a book or novella every once in while that brings all the old characters back together.  Christine Feehan did this and I really enjoyed it.

Thinking about it, there are two types of series books.  The series that focus on one or two individuals, like Stephanie Plum, Mitch Rapp, Harry Bosch, etc.  These are the ones where I think it is absolutely necessary to read them in order.

There are others that I think of as series but are more like a series of books written in the same universe.  These probably don't need to be read in order, although I would never do that.:smileywink:  Books need to be read in order. 

Contributor
lorilynn
0 Kudos

I would have to say Charlaine Harris. The southern Vampire series (yup! True Blood)

After #8 couldn't pick up another one. too much otc. :-(

www.lynnhubbard.com

Lynn Hubbard
www.lynnhubbard.com
Frequent Contributor
MichaelWallace23
0 Kudos

Colleen, Earth's Children was exactly what I was thinking when I opened this thread. Clan of the Cave Bear is one of my all time favorite books, and I know this sounds corny, but reading Valley of the Horses as a teen boy helped me learn about sexuality in a healthy way. Things started to decline with Mammoth Hunters and got progressively worse.

I can't figure out why. Auel clearly has the ability to write a story that is both a page turner and filled with nuanced characters, but the last couple of books have neither of those things. Sometimes, it's obvious that a writer is burned out and just going through the motions, but it took Auel over 35 years to write the series. Clearly, there was no pressure. So what happened?