Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Irishbookish
0 Kudos

Re: Books read per year?

I don't think the amount of books a person reads in a year is as important as how well the reader absorbs the story, and if someone asks you to describe the last few books you've read, and you can't, then you should slow down. There's no race, and no competition. Reading a good book is like eating exquisite chocolate and should be taken slowly and let linger long after the last morsel is gone.

I read around 100 books per year - give or take some. Like someone else here, I usually have several bookson the go. I have one in my bag to read while waiting in the car to pick one of my kids up or waiting for an appointment/interview or in a telephone queue or lunchtime at work: No Man's Island - Susan Sallis. 
Another beside the bed, (currently working my way through the Mave Binchy series) which I read from around 9pm - 1am or when I just can't keep my eyes open. One for when I'm feeling like I need motivation: The Secret - Rhonda Byrne. Lastly one which I tend to keep for whenever the mood strikes: The Tipping Point - Graham Gladwell which I've been trying to savour over a few weeks.

I don't read all day - in fact I can often only grab snippets except for bedtime. I am a quick reader, but most avid readers do get a bit quicker over the years. I wish I could've read this much during my teenaged years - I might not have gotten into so much trouble ;-) I also can't read as much when I'm engaged in writing/editing. I don't watch TV, I can't sit still long enough although do like a good movie on occasion.

"As Time Doth Pass, Remember..."
www.traceybookish.wordpress.com
Author of Rhuddlan
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

me to i read alot i love books no picture kiddies books but like diary movie chapter books are what i read
~ Jamisha R.
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

ha my eyes don't hurt unless i take off my glasses they do i have to squint after that then i am fine and in the morning too.
~ Jamisha R.
New User
teenweirdo
0 Kudos

I read about 25 to 40 books per year, most read during the summer. I'm fourteen, so I have lots of projects in school. I'm also writing a lot because I like to write poetry and I'm doing karate and playing piano, etc., so I don't have much time for reading except in-between classes and just before bedtime.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

teenweirdo wrote:
I read about 25 to 40 books per year, most read during the summer. I'm fourteen, so I have lots of projects in school. I'm also writing a lot because I like to write poetry and I'm doing karate and playing piano, etc., so I don't have much time for reading except in-between classes and just before bedtime.

same w/ me, but i read about 100-150 a year. if the book is very good and i can't stop, i just finish the book without thinking what time is it. Once when i was reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer i read until morning(i only had about 3 hrs of sleep that day) but it was worth it. :smileyhappy:
**DLN**
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Around 180, 3 or more a week.
Frequent Contributor
Bella-Swan
0 Kudos

i just started to get into reading this year to ive read over a 100 books this year i sometimes judge books by there cover my fave books is 2 the blue girl and little grrl lost
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK, DRUNK BELLA SAID, YES DRUNK YOUR ARE INTOXICATED BYMY VERY PRESENS
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I probably read about 40 to 50 books a year. This year my total will go up because I have been recovering from surgery and I have read so many books. Reading is my life force.

Message Edited by johanna49 on 07-12-2008 03:47 PM
Frequent Contributor
angelgirl
0 Kudos

So far this year I'm not doing so good on the books, I've read about 20 so far. I just can't get into some of them and it takes me a week or so to read  it.  I think It mostly depends on the author  .
Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

it doesnt really matter how much books u read

some fbooks are short with small font an long with large font

also it is nothin if u read a lot of easy books compared to several hard books such as Classics 

also consider if u actually understood everything u read