Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
0 Kudos

Re: Books to Read

meggie wrote:
I have decided to start a thread all about good books.Please add on and tell me what you think.Here are my favorite books:

1. Harry Potter series by J K Rowling

2. Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

3.Little House books by Laura I Wilder

Hi Meggie,
I haven't read your first two selections, But I have read the Little House series ( I think almost every girl in grade school has read at least some of them). One book I would like to recommened is my all-time personal favorite (even over the classics), and that's The Executioners Song by Lawrence Schiller & Norman Mailer. It's a true story about a murder case in Utah in 1975, and normally would not have been interesting, except for the fact that the defendent, Gary Gilmore, received two death sentences and then refused to appeal and dared the state to execute him. Which they did, but not before it turned into a media circus.It's billed as " A True Life Novel", and you would have to read the book to find out why that term is appropriate. It won the Pulitzer prize for liturature in 1980,also. I don't know why I love this book above all others, but everytime I read it I find something new or remember something I forgot. I first read it when I was 21, and over the ensuing years (27), no matter what I've read, this book is still my favorite. If you get a chance (its a very long book, roughly 1000 pages), read it. I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has read this book and learn their thoughts on it.

Take care.
kerkat
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

jed wrote:
Sea by John Banville (any book by him). It replaced Angle of Repose as one of my favorite books.

The Wife by Meg Wolitzer. This is one you need to read at least twice to get the full flavor of the book.

Anything by Ivan Doig.

Anything by Carol Shields.

I did not have any trouble with The wife by Meg Wolitzer at all. It was featured on B&N university. I loved it. Her second book wasn't as good but I loved the first.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

jed wrote:
...Anything by Carol Shields.

Carol Shields wrote a very nice short biography of Jane Austen for the Penguin Lives series.

I hadn't heard of any of Jane Austen by Carol Shields. Will have to look that one up. I know it will be good. I love Carol Shields's writings also.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

xAnime_Freak_Awardx wrote:
I just got done with an awesome book! In my opinion anyway. "Leaving Normal", By Stef
Ann Holm is a major page turner. I couldn't put the book down, I read it in less than two days! At first I didn't think I would like it that much because it's storyline is something I couldn't relate with. But after reading a few pages, I was hooked! So I highly suggest it.

Here are some other books you can check out~

Young Adult:
Twilight- By, Stephenie Meyer (Another good page turner)
New Moon- By, Stephenie Meyer (Twilight's Sequel)
How It's Done- By, Christine Kole MacLean
An Unexpected Develpment- By, Marlene Perez
Killing Britney- By, Sean Olin ( A real shocker)

Adult Fiction:
Leaving Normal- By, Stef Ann Holm
Ther Last Warrior Queen- By, Mary Mackey (EXELLENT!!)
The Conquest- By Elizabeth ??? (Forgot last name)
The Quardian- By, Nicholas Sparks (REAL GOOD!!)
The Man That Tried To Get Away- By, Stephen R. Donaldson (A good mystery)
The Thorn Birds- By, Collen McCullough

Classics:
Hunchback of Notre Dame- By, Victor Hugo
Dracula- By, Bram Stocker
The Man in the Iron Mask- By, Alexander Dumas
The Three Musketeers- By, Alexander Dumas
The Call of the Wild- By, Jack London
Wuthering Heights- By Emily Bronte
Jane Eyre- By, Charlette Bronte

And there are so many more!!!

That sounds good "leaving Normal. Will have to put that on my list.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Vitin wrote:

A few years back, I was drawn to the "clanof the Cave Bears," and loved it. I usually did not read this sort of book, but like I said, I was drawn to it, and have read several others of hers. Jean Aruel just seems to be a author, once you start, you can't forget her writing and definitely will not put the book down for long.

I have read and enjoyed all of the Clan series but I think the later ones started to read more like a prehistoric sex manual and less of the storyline. Jo

I haven't read the newest because I had heard others speak of their dislike for it for the reasons you gave.
New User
AnetNut
0 Kudos

I absolutely loved the new mystery novel, Solemnly Swear (www.joeporrazzo.com)!!!
A.N.N.
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

Well I would have to add to your list as well.

Blue Bloods Melissa DeLaCruz
Baker
New User
themightypen
0 Kudos

I read a while back "The Creative Habit" by Twyla Tharp (non-fiction).

A good read on how to harness creativity in one's life. She's a choreographer,
so a lot of the examples she gives revolve around dance, but her tips
are also applicable and useful to non-artist types.

Another non-fiction book I would recommend is "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout.
A great read for these dangerous times we're living in. She tackles her subject matter
well while maintaining a tone of optimism throughout the book.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony -- Mahatma Gandhi
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

XAnime_

Great classics list here, but darn I've exhausted those, i love the classics

Classics:
Hunchback of Notre Dame- By, Victor Hugo
Dracula- By, Bram Stocker
The Man in the Iron Mask- By, Alexander Dumas
The Three Musketeers- By, Alexander Dumas
The Call of the Wild- By, Jack London
Wuthering Heights- By Emily Bronte
Jane Eyre- By, Charlette Bronte

However i see a quite interesting title here 'Leaving Normal'
Hmm... whats this about
Thinker
Frequent Contributor
bemusedfeline
0 Kudos

There are so many! I would say anything by Terry Pratchett, the Garrett Series by Glen Cook, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. My reread list basically. But Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Martha Grimes, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series--all so good. I wish all I had to do with my time was read and talk about books. Everybody has so many good suggestions.