Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Buying Nook books at your local B&N

Thanks to flyingtoastr for the earlier tip that we could do this (I don't recall which thread it was).  I saw books 1-4 of the Ender Wiggins saga and book 1 of Ender's Shadow were all discounted ($4.99 or $5.99 -- less than the paperback would have cost me!) so I dropped by my local B&N yesterday to purchase them through the store.

The clerk who got me initially was befuddled until the shift manager showed him how to do it but they appreciated me logging the sale locally.  It didn't cost me any more than it would have to buy it online and it reinforces the viability of a local brick-and-mortar store (which I believe convey other benefits in the long run).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Re: Buying Nook books at your local B&N

It actually does cost more if you count your time as well as transportation costs unless you were going to be in the store anyway to buy something else.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

It actually does cost more if you count your time as well as transportation costs unless you were going to be in the store anyway to buy something else.

Some how I knew you'd try to throw a damper on this.  No, the B&N is located on my way home from work so it cost me the extra gas to travel another 150-200 ft plus a startup.  As for my time, I needed to kill some time on the way to my Scout meeting anyway -- no point in traveling an extra 25 miles to go home just to turn around.  Well worth the $0.10 in gas to solidify a B&M point of presence IMO.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

B&N needs to work on incentives to make us be in the store anyway for exactly this reason. They need to strengthen the synergy between the NOOK devices and software, and physical stores. If they do that, I'm much more likely to be in a B&N store, more likely to make an impulse purchase, and more likely to think B&N before Amazon as a source for books. Read-in-store is a great idea that should be expanded.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Take that Cookie...

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

B&N needs to work on incentives to make us be in the store anyway for exactly this reason. They need to strengthen the synergy between the NOOK devices and software, and physical stores. If they do that, I'm much more likely to be in a B&N store, more likely to make an impulse purchase, and more likely to think B&N before Amazon as a source for books. Read-in-store is a great idea that should be expanded.

I remember back when they did this, LOL.  It, uh, did not work out so well for them.  :smileywink:

They used to give "More In Store" coupons on the N1E.  The coupon would appear when the nook connected to the store wifi.  The first, or one of the first, coupons to appear was for a free cookie, and everyone with a nook (who'd been hearing about what wonderful things were to come when "More In Store" went live) rushed to their local B&N to get their free cookie.  B&N had not planned for the rush - they should have known everyone with a nook was going to come in at once, but they didn't manage to figure that out - and when they ran out of cookies all heck broke loose.

I still remember all the angry posts in the forums, the demand for cookies, the wild claims that "More In Store" was a scam, and the various posts quoting Limp Bizkit:

"I did it all for the nookie / So you can take that cookie / And stick it up your, yeah!!"

bobstro

Re: Take that Cookie...

B&N slashdotted/grouponed themselves, eh? At least Read-In-Store won't do anything worse than slow down with a load of freeloaders customers using wifi.

I did wonder what happened to the cookie coupons though. Sounds to me like the idea worked. Rather than discountine something that did draw foot traffic, it sounds like they should have baked more cookies along with overpriced coffee to drown them in. Or given the cookie only with a purchase.

What ever happened to all the cool things that were supposed to happen with NFC-enabled devices (HD/HD+ -- Sorry all you NC owners)? I thought they could use that for this kind of in-store promotion.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,949

Hilariously, there isn't even a way to access the More-In-Store content downloads on an HD series NOOK (and, for that matter, there hasn't been anything new added in more than a year).

BN wanted to get in on the lucrative overseas markets with NOOK devices, so they quietly began to downplay the store tie-in (since BN doesn't exist outside of the US).You can actually even see this evolution in the design of the devices. The N1E had a big "Barnes & Noble" painted on the front. The NOOK Color's boot screen displayed a large "NOOK by Barnes & Noble". Then the references to BN seem to dry up - right about the time BN started to rumble about international expansion plans.

I personally believe it was the exact wrong way to go about going international. BN should have instead developed an affiliate program that allowed other third-party bookstores to deploy "NOOK In-Store Hotspots" on their own WiFi networks and allowed them to sell NOOK devices much like Kobo's affiliate program does. They could have even developed backend stuff to let the third-party stores add their own additional content for their specific stores - so I get access to the BN More-In-Store content anywhere, but walking into my local Indy with a NOOK hotspot also brings up coupons for that store specifically. Then provide the logistical support to those affiliate stores - marketing material, device replenishment systems, training programs - and give them 5-10% of the profits from content sales on devices purchased. Boom. Tailor made program for both domestic and international expansion that makes "More In Store" a true killer app no matter where you are.

But the current BN management has always been incredibly hostile to indys, so I don't ever see this happening.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I would imagine many indies feel rather hostile toward B&N management also, given that it wasn't so long ago B&N was actively trying to put them out of business.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

....and succeeded.  

There aren't more than a couple of niche indies left in my town.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Not to mention the confusion about the stores that do not have a Cafe but have a Starbucks instead.  Those stores, the food coupons aren't honored, because the Starbucks are run by Starbucks, not Cafe's run by B&N that server Starbucks coffee.  This caused lots of confusion and complaints, people thought BN should force Starbucks to honor the coupons.