Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Can you recommend a funny book?

I absolutely love his "Macys Christmas Job" monologue(Not the  real name,but I am sure you know what I mean,Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
B&N Bookseller
Tequila_Mockingbird
0 Kudos

There are loads and loads of funny books out there.  I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for.  Some author suggestions:

Funny Chick Lit:  Marion Keyes  (not side-splitting funny, but still quite amusing)

Funny Memoirs: Jen Lancaster (witty and sarcastic); David Sedaris (also witty and sarcastic)

Funny Humor:  Ant Farm by Simon Rich; My Dog Ate My Nobel Prize by Jeff Martin

Funny Mystery:  Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann

Also, if you like Janet Evanovich, you might like Lisa Lutz.  She writes a series called The Spellman Files about a dysfunctional family in the private detective business.  Hilarious! 

Hope these help you find what you're looking for!

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I'm a big fan of the book Letters from a Nut, by Ted L. Nancy, along with its follow-up volumes More Letters from a Nut and Extra Nutty!

The premise is this: a man writes to various companies, government agencies, etc. making absolutely absurd requests (a few examples include asking Greyhound if it's okay to ride the bus dressed like a giant stick of butter, checking with one of the DisneyWorld hotels to see if he can bring his own ice machine, and a request to open a kiosk that sells single pairs of men's underwear at the mall). He then gets these totally straight-faced replies back, because of course these companies have no way of knowing whether he's yanking their chain or not. You'd be surprised how accomodating some of these folks can be (Greyhound said yes to the butter costume!) in the name of good customer service and public relations.

I made the mistake of reading these on the train during my commute, and got lots of weird looks from my fellow passengers, so be careful when reading it in public!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I agree. I have a copy of More Letters from a Nut and would read it out loud to my co-workers during slow times at work. It had us giggling uncontrollably. There are theories the books are actually written by Jerry Seinfeld.

JL_Garner wrote:

I'm a big fan of the book Letters from a Nut, by Ted L. Nancy, along with its follow-up volumes More Letters from a Nut and Extra Nutty!

The premise is this: a man writes to various companies, government agencies, etc. making absolutely absurd requests (a few examples include asking Greyhound if it's okay to ride the bus dressed like a giant stick of butter, checking with one of the DisneyWorld hotels to see if he can bring his own ice machine, and a request to open a kiosk that sells single pairs of men's underwear at the mall). He then gets these totally straight-faced replies back, because of course these companies have no way of knowing whether he's yanking their chain or not. You'd be surprised how accomodating some of these folks can be (Greyhound said yes to the butter costume!) in the name of good customer service and public relations.

I made the mistake of reading these on the train during my commute, and got lots of weird looks from my fellow passengers, so be careful when reading it in public!