Game on!

This should be interesting! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

Re: Consumer Group: E-book Price Fixing Costs Big Bucks

Ya_Ya wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

Make as much as you can without cutting your own throat?

Isn't this the mantra of every good little capitalist?

See that little thingie at the end of my statement that looks like this ..... "?"  You know, the same one after my my two other statements relating to what might be going on.  That's called a question mark.

It represents something that you don't know for sure.... it is not a sign of approval or certification or concurrence of any kind.  However, I do support Capitalism even thought the statement you quoted was not advocating anything, but merely questioning the approach marketers were taking in ebook pricing.

"Mantra of every good little capitalist" leads me to believe that you frown on Capitalism.  A shame since that is the system which drives our economy and is part of our culture.  It is also the market system in which you will have to sell your books here in the U.S.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe

Someone said in an earlier post that they didn't think companies would be stupid enough to collude.  Well it's only been a decade since the last time.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2002-09-30-cd-settlement_x.htm

Don't Panic
Wordsmith
Fred011

flyingtoastr wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

Seems like if you raise the prices too high, you put yourself out of business. 

Except that books are not a commidity. Publishers have a LEGAL monopoly on their works (it's called copyright, eh) - they can charge whatever they want for it and there is absolutely no recourse if you don't like it.

So if Hatchette wanted to charge Amazon $100 for each copy of Jame Patterson's latest crap, Amazon couldn't replace it with a generic James Patterson of their own. They either pay that price (and generally pass the costs onto the consumer) or don't stock that item.

So if this was just about the publishers wanting to get their grubby hands on more money, why not just raise the price of the wholesale book? Why go through all the trouble implimenting a system that not only lowers their own margins, but prevents Amazon from using its predatory pricing any further?

Amazon's tactics are way more dangerous here than the extra $2 a book costs now.

"LEGAL monopoly" granted by Copyright.... interesting thought.

What a Copyright does is recognize and protect ownership of intellectual or artistic material, eh. Rights to reproduce and market that material can be granted by agreement to others by the holder of the copyright.

Copyright does not grant a LEGAL monopoly to a publisher for the pricing of ALL books.  They may price a book which they have been granted marketing rights to from the copyright holder.  What they may NOT do is collude with other publishers and/or marketers to fix the price for ALL books in large enough segments of the market so that competition is effectively eliminated.  That is what the whole price-fixing and anti-trust litigation is about.

As for "no recourse if you don't like it" if the price of a product is too high, I believe another poster suggested voting with your wallet and walking.  Seems like that is a recourse to me.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

"Legal Monopoly?" <rolls eyes> Since when has simply being a monopoly been deemed illegal in this country?

I assume that flyingtoaster meant that they have a "de facto" monopoly.

Wordsmith
Fred011

doncr wrote:

Dangerous for whom?  Not dangerous for me because I want lower eBook prices.  I want different pricing models (ala Netflix) for eBooks and a secondary market of selling used digital content.  That's never going to happen unless retailers have the ability to set the price themselves.  This is the same tired old argument dragged out about any big discount retailer (Wal-mart, Costco, etc.) and consumers simply don't buy it.  They have shown time and time again that they will vote with their wallet.  The publishers in fact know this, that's why they are trying to restrict Amazon.

In the end, it's all about money, however it's not a matter of greed - it's a matter of survival.  The higher profits made on overpriced eBooks due to Agency pricing have allowed BN to keep the doors open on their expensive to operate retail bookstores.  Should BN go the way of Borders and close those retail stores, the publishers know that they will lose a large market where they make the majority of their revenue (DTBs).  Besides, if this was all about sticking it to da' Man (Amazon), why haven't they gone to an Agency model for paper books?  What makes eBooks so special that they deserve a different pricing model?

I have to agree with you.  There are some here however that equate making money with greed.

The old saying "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" applies to pricing strategies.  What brings more customers, lower prices or higher?

We can apply all sorts of ethical, emotional, religious, political, ecological or even cosmic justification to our buying habits and/or boycotting actions, but businesses exist make money.  If they don't they fail.  What they do with the money, they can determine by their own of ethical, emotional, religious, political, ecological or even cosmic inclinations.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

"Mantra of every good little capitalist" leads me to believe that you frown on Capitalism.  A shame since that is the system which drives our economy and is part of our culture.  It is also the market system in which you will have to sell your books here in the U.S.

I don't frown on Capitalism.  I frown on the flavor of capitalism that accepts that unethical behavior as part of it.  Capitalism doesn't require a "make money at all costs" philosophy.  

Theat attempt to mask greed and exploitation as capitalism was what my dig was directed at.  :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
Versel

[ Edited ]

It is about time for the government to take on the monopoly created by Jobs/Apple and the price fixing through the Agency Model (who would have known that on a B&N/Nook board you would read "Go, Amazon, Go!").

Having read the petition filed by the government online, I think the "renegade" publisher who refused to agree to the MFN is Random House.

Any ideas?

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

I don't frown on Capitalism.  I frown on the flavor of capitalism that accepts that unethical behavior as part of it.  Capitalism doesn't require a "make money at all costs" philosophy.  

Theat attempt to mask greed and exploitation as capitalism was what my dig was directed at.  :smileywink:

I'm not sure I'd label it as a "flavor" of Capitalism, but agreed there can be excesses as in every other system whether it be politics, religion, education or whatever.  I'm afraid it's human nature. :smileysad:

Why else would we see so much of it (excess) in so many different places?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

Eh, B&N's hands aren't clean either. It's done its share of pushing competitors out of business and was very good at it for a long time. I've been a loyal customer for many years, but I can't pretend they're innocent victims.