Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Consumer Group: E-book Price Fixing Costs Big Bucks

roustabout wrote:
Is there a prohibition on publishers selling their own titles to the public?  Being the only sources for new copies of those titles?  

I honestly don't know;  it seems possible to me, since I can order direct from so many university presses. 

If the publishers are afraid of Big Bad Amazon, that's the smart move. 

I assume there's no prohibition on this as some of th smaller pubs do this.

AFAIK there's also no prohibition on choosing who you do and do not do business with.  If the pubs wanted to cut Amazon out completely, they could.  I would assume that they could also choose to sell .epub through all .epub vendors and sell .amz or .mobi direct from the publisher only.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Well, perhaps it is time to look at the History books. 

Once upon a time, there was a company called "Standard Oil" ...  Oh yes, and there was another called the "Bell System," which included AT&T, Western Electric, the various "Baby Bells" along with Bell Laboratories.  Where are they now?

IBM was forced to "unbundle" its pricing.  Microsoft signed a "consent decree" under antitrust laws.  Now, Apple is in the sights of the government.  Do you really believe that this is the end of publishing as we know it? 

This is just more "Chicken Little" overreaction.  It's a little early to be making such dire predictions, don't you think?

So you're saying we should just sit back, let Amazon drive everyone out of business, THEN bring them up for anti-trust.

Really?

Sounds like you're saying it -- not me. 

On the other hand, how do you prosecute anybody for breaking a law before they break it?  Sounds like Science Fiction to me.  :smileywink:

keriflur

deesy58 wrote:
On the other hand, how do you prosecute anybody for breaking a law before they break it?  Sounds like Science Fiction to me.  :smileywink:

No doubt the precogs have already seen this. :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

So you're saying we should just sit back, let Amazon drive everyone out of business

They can do this without breaking the law, (again), even.

All they have to do is sell most/everything at cost.  Nobody else (except Apple and Google) can afford that, either, and in that situation Amazon couldn't be breaking the law since it requires that the retailer be selling below cost.

Holder could keep an eye on this as long as he wants but ...

So maybe ebook prices won't go down to $9.99 again.  Maybe they'll all mostly be $12.49 or $12.99.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Is there a prohibition on publishers selling their own titles to the public?  Being the only sources for new copies of those titles?  

I honestly don't know;  it seems possible to me, since I can order direct from so many university presses.   

Unless it came into play because of this deal, I wouldn't think so.

Under the agency model, we are were buying directly from the publishers - at least according to B&N.  Look at any Big Six ebook:  This is The Maze Runner (bold mine):

Product Details

• ISBN-13: 9780375893773
  • Publisher: Random House Children's Books
  • Publication date: 10/6/2009
  • Sold by: Random House
  • Format: eBook
  • Pages: 256
  • Sales rank: 177
  • Age range: 12 - 17 Years
  • Series: Maze Runner Series, #1
  • File size: 2 MB
  • Items ship to U.S, APO/FPO and U.S. Protectorate addresses.
roustabout
0 Kudos

After I asked the question, I remembered why it is that the publishers have to play kinda nice with Amazon for now: in addition to the ebook market, Amazon dominates the DTB market as well.  

And amongst all the piteous wailing it does seem that folks are consistently saying that DTBs are a really important money maker for publishers still.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Wordsmith
Fred011

Nallia wrote:
The people on this forum aren't the only ones worried about Amazon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/business/media/amazon-to-cut-e-book-prices-shaking-rivals.html?_r=...

The article you referenced included the following statement:

"Apple’s introduction of the iPad in early 2010 seemed to offer a way to combat Amazon."

That statement makes it seem as if Apple introduced the iPad to halt Amazon's march toward total dominance of the ebook market.  Please note the following taken from the link within that very statement:

"When Apple introduced the iPad tablet computer in 2010, it was doing what it likes to do best: creating a new category to dominate, as it had done with the iPod and iPhone. By the end of the year, the company had sold nearly 15 million iPads, generating about $9.5 billion in revenue."

Just two years later, the chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, has a prediction: the day will come when tablet devices like the Apple iPad outsell traditional personal computers."

"Worried about Amazon"?  I don't think Apple introduced iPad to "combat" Amazon's growth in the ebook marketplace.

"Create a new technology to dominate" and ",,, devices like the Apple iPad outsell[ing] traditional personal computers" seems more like that reason for the introduction of iPad, not "to offer a way to combat Amazon."

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

Nallia wrote:
The people on this forum aren't the only ones worried about Amazon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/business/media/amazon-to-cut-e-book-prices-shaking-rivals.html?_r=...

The article you referenced included the following statement:

"Apple’s introduction of the iPad in early 2010 seemed to offer a way to combat Amazon."

That statement makes it seem as if Apple introduced the iPad to halt Amazon's march toward total dominance of the ebook market.  Please note the following taken from the link within that very statement:

"When Apple introduced the iPad tablet computer in 2010, it was doing what it likes to do best: creating a new category to dominate, as it had done with the iPod and iPhone. By the end of the year, the company had sold nearly 15 million iPads, generating about $9.5 billion in revenue."

Just two years later, the chief executive of Apple, Timothy D. Cook, has a prediction: the day will come when tablet devices like the Apple iPad outsell traditional personal computers."

"Worried about Amazon"?  I don't think Apple introduced iPad to "combat" Amazon's growth in the ebook marketplace.

"Create a new technology to dominate" and ",,, devices like the Apple iPad outsell[ing] traditional personal computers" seems more like that reason for the introduction of iPad, not "to offer a way to combat Amazon."

*shrugs* I don't disagree with you about the reasons Apple created the iPad, and don't really care. My only assertion is that the people on this forum are not the only ones concerned about about what might happen to ebooks and Amazon's hold on the market. Nothing more.
roustabout

Whose perspective is being referred to is important here:

""Apple’s introduction of the iPad in early 2010 seemed to offer a way to combat Amazon."

From the perspective of the publishers, that's completely true.  

Also, when Apple introduced the iPad - a lot of folks forget this now, since it lasted in the press and consumers' minds for about a week - it was being talked about as a Kindle killer:  a fullscreen touchscreen device that would be great to read on.

These are examples of the press coverage shortly after the iPad was introduced

http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/28/top-10-reasons-ipad-kindle/

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/01/apple_tablet_unveiled.html 

Apple also touted the iPad as an e-reader during the launch announcement.   

Jobs himself said "Amazon did a great job with their reader and we’re standing on their shoulders here.” 

Then, after about a week, it was obvious that the iPad was

- an inconvenient ereader at best

- a great toy

Within a month or two, I think Apple knew that it was not getting much traction on selling books on iPads, but it didn't matter - they were selling apps and devices.  By last year, the publishers were making the iPad's failure as a reader pretty clear.   

But by then, Apple had rewritten the rules of ebook sales to its benefit with the assistance of the publishing houses.  

I think it's great that Apple was so public about the level to which they were working with the publishers, though I'm sure the publishers wish Apple had been more careful.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.