Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Covers - again

I know covers get discussed all of the time but they are so fascinating to me. I love to look at them all in bookstores and libraries and wonder how decisions were made about each one. Why did they pick those colors? Should they have changed the font? How effective is the artwork?

A cover that caught my eye today is from the newest book by Billie Letts Made In The U.S.A.
I love the simplisticity of it and the contrast of the stars, lights and bugs against the twilight sky. I like the little extra twist from the lettering too. I'm sure part of the appeal for me is that we live in the country and it's the beginning of summer, my favorite time of year! I saw my first firefly (or lightening bug) of the season the other night too.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Re: Covers - again

Do you think this cover evoked memories of childhood and a more peaceful time and that is what makes it so appealing ? I went to this link and have to say this cover would really make me pick up the book. It says so much.
kaye

Wrighty wrote:
I know covers get discussed all of the time but they are so fascinating to me. I love to look at them all in bookstores and libraries and wonder how decisions were made about each one. Why did they pick those colors? Should they have changed the font? How effective is the artwork?

A cover that caught my eye today is from the newest book by Billie Letts Made In The U.S.A.
I love the simplisticity of it and the contrast of the stars, lights and bugs against the twilight sky. I like the little extra twist from the lettering too. I'm sure part of the appeal for me is that we live in the country and it's the beginning of summer, my favorite time of year! I saw my first firefly (or lightening bug) of the season the other night too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
Do you think this cover evoked memories of childhood and a more peaceful time and that is what makes it so appealing ? I went to this link and have to say this cover would really make me pick up the book. It says so much.
kaye

Wrighty wrote:

I loved the cover! If that was in paperback, it would be on my shelf by the weekend! Now I have one more book to add to the ever-growing number of tbr books. I check out a lot of the books people recommend on this site. I may have to stop, I will never be able to keep up:smileyhappy:
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

momgee wrote:
kaye

I loved the cover! If that was in paperback, it would be on my shelf by the weekend! Now I have one more book to add to the ever-growing number of tbr books. I check out a lot of the books people recommend on this site. I may have to stop, I will never be able to keep up:smileyhappy:

Hi Kaye!
This cover most definitely brings back fond memories. Since we've always lived in the country it reminds me of my childhood and that of my own kids. We've taught many little tykes how to catch lightening bugs in a jar. They also learned to let them go! :smileyhappy:

debbook (love that name!),
The cover is such a simple concept but it's very effective isn't it? It got my attention. I know what you mean about too many books. I already have a long list and then I come here and can't help but add more. I've found some great ones though!

~Debbie
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi Deb and Debbie, I know what you mean about the tbr list. I too have found some terriffic recos here and keep adding them. Just this morning I added 3 more and now I am up to 1032, Holy bookshelves, Batman, I will have to live to be 150 because of all the daily additions.  But what fun, eh?
kaye

Wrighty wrote:

debbook wrote:

momgee wrote:
kaye

Hi Kaye!
This cover most definitely brings back fond memories. Since we've always lived in the country it reminds me of my childhood and that of my own kids. We've taught many little tykes how to catch lightening bugs in a jar. They also learned to let them go! :smileyhappy:

debbook (love that name!),
The cover is such a simple concept but it's very effective isn't it? It got my attention. I know what you mean about too many books. I already have a long list and then I come here and can't help but add more. I've found some great ones though!

~Debbie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
Hi Deb and Debbie, I know what you mean about the tbr list. I too have found some terriffic recos here and keep adding them. Just this morning I added 3 more and now I am up to 1032, Holy bookshelves, Batman, I will have to live to be 150 because of all the daily additions.  But what fun, eh?
kaye

Ah, another reader after my own heart! :smileywink: As long as there are new books being written my list will continue to grow faster than I can read.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

That's exactly what I thought momgee.  That cover reminds me of a summer evening in childhood.  Such sweet memories!