Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: DTMs - Saving 'Em or Getting Rid of 'Em

AlanNJ wrote:

I just don't enjoy reading DTB's any more.  Period.

Ditto.  (Did I just show my age?  I bet some of our posters don't know what a ditto is.  #cries#)

Anyway, I got my NOOK as a "Ha! You're old" birthday gift because my mother remembers me reading the Encyclopedia as a child.  She knows how much I love books.  Shortly before that birthday, Mr. Ya_Ya and I moved 500 miles back to my (our) hometown.  He started his job 6 weeks before we could move, so my mother came to NC to help me pack.  When we had 40 cartons of books to move - and six to be donated to the library - she must have realized that I needed a better answer.

(I had already given up purchasing books and was using the library almost exclusively because I had no more room for books.  I still bought to take while traveling, and occasionally I'd buy books from the bargain book table - but it was rare. )

I'm not disposing of DTBs, and I still buy them as gifts, but I haven't bought myself one since getting my NOOK in September.  I can see buying some for series completion or if I absolutely have to have it on my shelf.  I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but I can see why having those as DTBs would be useful, too.

In any case, I've borrowed a few DTBs from the library for books that aren't available in their collection as ebooks, and I don't like reading them.  The "book" gets in the way, for lack of a better way to describe it.

I've drunk the Kool-Aid.  And it's good.  :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Ditto.  (Did I just show my age?  I bet some of our posters don't know what a ditto is.  #cries#)

What's really funny is now I'm showing my age regarding the Nook.  I tell people the Classic Nook is better than the Color Nook and they look at me like I've got two heads... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
LSCB
0 Kudos

You all are cracking me up! I agree that the Nook Classic is my preferred non-DTB format....I s'pose becuz it's closest to looking like a DTB page! Anyway, the past few weeks I've been ordering waaaaay too many used DTB's, mostly becuz they're cheaper than the ebook version. Yet the growing DTB collection is getting out of hand. So I hereby take "the pledge": for the month of March I will not....WILL NOT....buy/order a DTB.

Perhaps in April I can go a step further and identify a stack (albeit small one) of DTBs from my shelves to donate.

OK, now I'm starting to get the shakes. Better stop here!

--LSCB

LSCB
Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

Hmm...like some have said, I have some nice leather bound editions, folio editions, and hardbound and special collections that I am NOT, ever in a million years even on pain of death getting rid of, no how, no way...many have traveled with me thoughout my life...however, some of the paperbacks, yeah...newer fiction titles...yeah...

I will still get DTB editions in craft books, or art books...and probably commic books too (I have all The Far Side collections and Calvin and Hobbes, and that statement of never, uh-uh, not going to happen, well the especially applies to them, even if they are a bit worn and rough around the edges)...

I would love to know about how long you can keep magazines on NC, cuz I have a few National Geographic editions in DTM(yup, I like the acronym Casper, so going to use it) that I would love to keep in digital format instead of taking up precious library space...oh, and I have some (but not all, at least yet) of my most loved tomes in a glass cabinet, making dusting a LOT easier (as I live in AZ, the land of duststorms).

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Nerdgirljenn wrote:

I would love to know about how long you can keep magazines on NC, cuz I have a few National Geographic editions in DTM(yup, I like the acronym Casper, so going to use it) that I would love to keep in digital format instead of taking up precious library space...oh, and I have some (but not all, at least yet) of my most loved tomes in a glass cabinet, making dusting a LOT easier (as I live in AZ, the land of duststorms).

I believe most magazines will automagically disappear after 6 months BUT if you open it and then archive it, the magazine will remain on your Nook until you delete it.

I had the same question a few months ago.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. I almost dread having to read a DTB. If someone had told me I would feel that way a year ago I would have thought they were crazy.

AlanNJ wrote:

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault