Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
dino_v
0 Kudos

Re: DTMs - Saving 'Em or Getting Rid of 'Em

I haven't purchased any DTBs since I got the NOOK when it first came out. Since then, I have moved to anew house and so far (I've been there a year) haven't unpacked any of my DTBs. I'll probably donate them, at this point.

It's actually quite refreshing to design an interior without bookshelves!

--
dino
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

dino_v wrote:

I haven't purchased any DTBs since I got the NOOK when it first came out. Since then, I have moved to anew house and so far (I've been there a year) haven't unpacked any of my DTBs. I'll probably donate them, at this point.

It's actually quite refreshing to design an interior without bookshelves!

I, too, recently moved to a new (smaller) home and had to do some major downsizing.  One thing that was not questioned was the fact that the books would not be in the "gotta get rid of" pile.  I enjoy seeing my books on shelves, even though I am not reading them.  Plenty of things in the old house, waiting to be stored or re-cycled, but the books made it to the new place before any of the furniture.

Different strokes.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

A word of caution.....just don't sell any book at a yard sale that someone will pick up and be told on Antiques Roadshow that the book is worth $100,000. :smileysurprised:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nothing.  I still read my paper books and still buy them.  I have a library instead of a formal living room and donn't see that changing anytime soon, if ever.  For me, ebooks didn't replace one format; they just added another.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

We are keeping our hardcovers.  Any paperbacks that are available for nook, we have gotten rid of.  While we still have a half dozen bookcases - they are no longer overflowing.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Correspondent
LSCB
0 Kudos

OK, gotta ask: what does DTB stand for? I get that it refers to hard copy books, but what exactly does the acronym stand for? 

Any way, I have many many MANY books, and a growing collection of ebooks. My library of spirituality, mythology, poetry, etc., are all hard copies. I "talk" to my books, i.e. underlining and making notations in the margins. And I write inside the front cover the month/year I read these books. Many of them get reread, and redated. It's interesting to see what stood out to me then, and what stood out on a second reading. So I make new marks, in a different color. 

I know that there is a way to hilite and comment on the Nook, but it's just not as easy as doing it with a pencil in a real book. So, my Nook pretty much has fiction on it....books I'll read one time only. The exception being the many many free classics offered by B&N. I love that I have all these, all with no shelf space taken up. And I can't wait to read many/all of them.

--LSCB

LSCB
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LSCB, the acronymn, DTB, stands for "dead tree book."

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Correspondent
LSCB
0 Kudos

Love it! And I never would have guessed, so thanks for sharing.

Makes me feel better, too, that these days when I buy a, um, DTB, I buy used! -- LSCB

LSCB
Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

I haven't purchased any new DTBs in a long time.  I am using my Nook for leisure titles, library books and freebies mostly.  I am getting rid of the leisure title (which admittedly will mean different things to different people) DTBs after I read them.

I am keeping my favorite titles as DTBs (Dracula, Dante's Inferno, Shakespeare, Illyad and Odyssey, etc.) and will probably buy new DTBs of the same title if the volume is attractive and well translated.

I am keeping my favorite history DTBs.  I like history.

Bottom line: I am trying to reduce my DTB footprint as much as possible and increase the use of my NookColor.

We will be arriving at Vulcan in three minutes, thank you for your attention.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I just don't enjoy reading DTB's any more.  Period.

►Without order there is chaos◄