Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Daily Finds and Free Friday Selections

Karrie73 wrote:
I feel the same way.
For those of us who have been around Free Fridays for a few years remember how it used to be and are mad. I used to look forward each week to a wonderful little gem that I would have never discovered on my own. I got every single Free Friday book and enjoyed almost all of them, now not so much. In the past year Free Friday has been horrible. No more classics. No sci-fi or mystery or historical fiction. No more weird books about gangster teddy bears (Amberville, anyone?). Nope, just Romance. Romance novels are a dime a dozen. If I search for Free books, I get thousands of free romance novels.
I looked back on my account and I have gotten about 5 free books compare that to 50 the previous year, yeah, we're angry.

You're angry because something that is FREE isn't to your taste.  I suppose they could just stop offering the free Friday book, then you'd have nothing to be angry about.  It amazes me when folks complain about something that is being given away for free.  They don't have to give you anything.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I get lots of good books from the free fri and the daily find and also the link for free NOOK books where you can search by catagory. The ones I don't like I don't take. I find it is a good way to try out and author and usually find that after ready t he free of daily find book I look for that author. Not every book every day can suit everyone.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I've been getting a lot of value out of the $1.99-$2.99 offers lately.  Most of the books cluttering up my unread shelf fall into that category.  I get a lot of name authors whose works I like and a price I can't resist.

Definitely this. The Daily Find deals are awesome and cover a ton of different genres. As soon as they started advertising them in the shop I started buying them.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

bobstro wrote:

Perhaps it's time for B&N to quit advertising them then.

Why? It's still a program that they run and it's still very popular with a fair number of the customers that I've helped over the years. Just because the market has changed a little bit doesn't mean they should just throw out the whole program.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

While the recent Daily Finds and Free Friday selections haven't been to my taste, I don't have to pick them up if I don't want them. I'm not gonna complain about the good fortune of somebody else.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I've been getting a lot of value out of the $1.99-$2.99 offers lately.  Most of the books cluttering up my unread shelf fall into that category.  I get a lot of name authors whose works I like and a price I can't resist.

Definitely this. The Daily Find deals are awesome and cover a ton of different genres. As soon as they started advertising them in the shop I started buying them.

Except for the problem that I keep buying them faster than I can read them.  Too good a deal to pass up, but not enough time to read them all.

I just need to retire so I can devote more time to reading.