Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

ESQ
New User
ESQ

Daily Finds and Free Friday Selections

Who can I complain to about the fact that the Daily Finds and Free Friday selections are now practically 100% Romance novels, Vampire novels and Sci-Fi?

I love my Nook and loved those selections until recently.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Daily Finds and Free Friday Selections

Basically, they're pushing what sells, and those categories are a huge percentage of total sales.  The main motivation for free or discounted books is to then get you to buy other books from the same or similar authors.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078

you can go here and choose thetype of free book you are looking for.

Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

or go to BookBub or eReaderPerks and sign up for free daily eLetter alerting you to free and low cost B&N eBooks in categories of interest to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

ESQ wrote:

Who can I complain to about the fact that the Daily Finds and Free Friday selections are now practically 100% Romance novels, Vampire novels and Sci-Fi?

You can complain to the publishers. Those bargains are promotional discounts by the publisher.

Correspondent
luv2read29

Why complain to anyone, there are a lot of us that feel the same, we just dont get the book for that week. But remember it is FREE. Dont like it delete it!!!!
New User
Karrie73
0 Kudos

I feel the same way.
For those of us who have been around Free Fridays for a few years remember how it used to be and are mad. I used to look forward each week to a wonderful little gem that I would have never discovered on my own. I got every single Free Friday book and enjoyed almost all of them, now not so much. In the past year Free Friday has been horrible. No more classics. No sci-fi or mystery or historical fiction. No more weird books about gangster teddy bears (Amberville, anyone?). Nope, just Romance. Romance novels are a dime a dozen. If I search for Free books, I get thousands of free romance novels.
I looked back on my account and I have gotten about 5 free books compare that to 50 the previous year, yeah, we're angry.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Karrie73 wrote:
those of us who have been around Free Fridays for a few years remember how it used to be

"How it used to be" was that very few people had e-readers, and the publishers offered free e-books to get people interested. Now, almost everyone who isn't a "nothing but paper for me" type already has an e-reader, and they're buying e-books without anyone having to get them interested. For many of the most popular fiction titles, e-books now outsell print books.

There's no longer any need to try to get people interested in e-books.

Additionally, there are a number of reports that the free e-book is losing its effectiveness as a marketing tool. It just doesn't seem to boost sales like it did, neither of that particular title after the free offer expires, nor of other titles. All that happens is a whole lot of free copies get given away.

Furthermore, a couple of the e-publishers who gave away the most popular freebies have gone out of business. Most notable was Dorchester. Night Shade was the main supplier of sci-fi freebies, and now they're gone, too.

So most of today's freebies are from new small publishers who're trying to get noticed and hoping to gain a following.

No, it's not how it used to be, and it never will be again. You — and I — were fortunate to have been around during the early days of the e-book.

bobstro

Perhaps it's time for B&N to quit advertising them then.

MacMcK1957

I've been getting a lot of value out of the $1.99-$2.99 offers lately.  Most of the books cluttering up my unread shelf fall into that category.  I get a lot of name authors whose works I like and a price I can't resist.

I suspect the romances are targeted to our good friend Julie.