Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

Discomfort w/ B&N

At the risk of being a bit too nervous, reading about some of B&N's services disappearing (e.g. nook for PC), and remembering what happened when B&N last automatically downloaded and installed a new softwear release to my nook ( I had to start everything from scratch, including downloading all books purchased from BN, re-sideloading books purchased elsewhere, and recreating my collections), I am inclined to never again turn on the wifi on my nook.  It is easy enough to sideload content.  Is this an over-reaction? 

I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had any sense of what is going on with B&N. But changes in service offerings, big discounts on some hardware from some distributors, uncertainty of a relationship with Microsoft, etc leave me feeling that nearly anything is possible right now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Re: Discomfort w/ B&N

There's no uncertainty about the relationship with MS, MS owns a stake in Nook Media.  This is why there is a Windows 8 app for Nook.

The distributors are matching the sale that B&N is offering, which is a good deal but as has been mentioned in other threads a lot of the profit from the Nooks comes from purchases made with the Nook, not the Nook itself.

The service changes are limited to the computer side of things, many forum posters have commented that they only used the Nook for Mac and Nook for PC apps to backup their purchases.  This functionality lives on in Nook Study, and was added back to the website after they pulled the pre-Windows 8/Mac Nook apps. 

I do agree it would be in B&Ns best interest to at the least state what their plans are in terms of releasing a new device (i.e. if they're going to do it or not, features and which line of Nooks was getting a new model would be nice, but SOME news would be welcome).

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

I read Seabreeze's comments as feeling uncertain about nook because of the existing relationship with MS, and the buyout that was rumored.  I also feel uncertain about nook for these reasons, and I feel like B&N management has a wildcard feel to it - I've no idea what they're going to do next.  If I were a stockholder (I'm not), this would make me rather anxious, because while I'd like to believe they have some master plan in the works, the decisions of late feel more like poorly aimed darts than a thought-out attack.

Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love the description of B&N management as having a wild card feel to it.  That is exactly how I feel.  And given that, I have no confidence that they will be thinking carefully about customers like me when they decide to do whatever they are going to do.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I agree. I'm not imbued with a lot of confidence in B&N right now.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

Mercury Glitch -

You state that "The distributors are matching the sale that B&N is offering."  The situation I was thinking of was Radio Shack offering nooks at very substantial discounts, as if they were trying to close out their inventory.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I suspect that was Radio Shack clearing out their inventory of a two year old device.  I'm reasonably sure that the NSTG from RS is the same price as from B&N. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the situation was a bit different from your assumption:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/05/09/nook-touch-now-going-on-clearance-is-nook-media-exiting...

Quoting that article:

"I don’t really have much in the way of compelling proof, and it is entirely possible that these chains might simply have decided to stop carrying this model. But if this were a normal stock decision I would have expected the unsold stock to be returned to Nook Media. That is what happened in the Spring of 2012, or so B&N reported in one of their quarterly statements.

Instead the unsold stock is being dumped in the clearance bin, and that suggests that Nook Media doesn’t want the hardware back. They’re not even going to try to sell off the returned stock as refurbs like B&N has done in the past.

P.S. The first sign that Nook Media was getting out of ereaders is actually the sale that was announced last week in the UK. All Nook hardware was on sale, with the Nook Touch marked down to a ridiculously low £29. That is almost a clearance price, wouldn’t you say?"

roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm not convinced BN will be involved in ebooks in two years.  I think Microsoft will be selling ebooks but I'm not sure BN will be.  And I don't know that MS will be selling them through the Nook app, nor in epub format.  

I think that the college division going to MS may be why the Nook Study app is being pressed into service to carry the ebook subscriptions.  MS doesn't want to invest much, but knows they need some way to support the legacy customers until phase 2 or whatever they're going to call it is ready.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

roustabout: I'm not convinced BN will be involved in ebooks in two years.

Getting out of the ebook business completely would be a very bad decision, in my opinion. While I don't think physical books are in any danger of disappearing (at least not anytime soon), I I do think ebooks are an important part of the future.