Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Re: Discomfort w/ B&N

Seabreeze-1 wrote:

<snip>

Don't trust anything ever written by that blog. It's notoriously shill-y for Amazon.

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

Wow - what comment on that blog.

But clearly, the blog piece is just an opinion.  Aren't the facts correct?  I think Radio Shack did have a bargain basement clearance on nook ereaders.  And that was the warning sign that added to my discomfort with B&N. 

The only reason I quoted the blog was to respond to a point that some retailers were discounting nooks to match B&N's discounts.  I guess I could have quoted any of the other articles / opinion pieces that popped up on google.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Seabreeze, if you're that worried, by all means, buy another device. $150 is not worth losing so much sleep over. Meanwhile, the new NOOK offer GoPS access for guaranteed access to apps independent of B&N's survival, and will continue to sideload books as well. It's a bargain if it does what you want. Assuming B&N survived a year, you should get plenty of use out of it. If you're after guarantees, they don't exist.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

All tech retailers match sale prices (it's part of the price-control contracts that the OEM's use). When Amazon has a sale on their tablets Best Buy matches. When Apple discounts iPads Target offers the same deal. That in-and-of-itself doesn't prove anything.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004
0 Kudos

Hardware, NOOK Books, and other e-books

B&N did say on their last investor's call that they had a very large number of tablets in inventory to be sold. They also (essentially) said what I could've told them before they got into this: when Joe American thinks about buying a tablet, he thinks iPad or Android; he doesn't think B&N. E-readers, yeah. Tablets, no. B&N needed to run a massive advertising campaign to get the public aware of the NOOK HD and HD+, and they didn't. Add to that the limited selection of apps in the B&N store, and the tablets were doomed for the last holiday season.

So now, B&N's got to reduce their inventory. The almost-simultaneous addition of Google Play store and the significant price drops are getting them some interest. Heck, I bought one myself and I didn't really need one. But I'm still not seeing the advertising to let the public know. Maybe they're hoping to jump-start a word-of-mouth campaign by getting the HD/HD+ units into the hands of those of us who do watch the industry.

Will there be more NOOK hardware coming? I dunno. B&N said that there would be, but at a reduced pace, and with the implication that they needed to clear out most of the HD/HD+ inventory first. On the other hand, they've said lots of things and changed their minds later. Two weeks from today, B&N will announce their financial results for fiscal 2013 (and for 4Q2013), and there'll be another investor's call. Maybe we'll learn more then, maybe not.

The thing is, I know that B&N's not going to keep me updated on what they're up to — communication with customers is counter to their corporate culture — and really, why should I care? B&N doesn't need to sell ereaders to sell e-books; most e-book sellers don't have dedicated ereaders (including Apple). If B&N has decided that the future of B&N ereading is with NOOK apps running on tablets made by other companies, how would that be a problem?

And how is it a problem if B&N were to get completely out of the e-book business? Both my N1E(3G) and NOOK HD are able to read e-books from other vendors. In fact, the majority of my e-book library is from other vendors. And my NOOK HD has the Kindle app on it.

I don't need a NOOK to read my NOOK Books. I don't need BN.com in order to use my NOOKs. I don't see any reason I, as a consumer, should be concerned about what happens to NOOK Media.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:
Seabreeze, if you're that worried, by all means, buy another device.

The concern for me isn't the device, it's the books.  I want to be able to read books across devices and platforms, I don't want to be tied down. It would be illogical for B&N to pull support for their remaining apps, but pulling support for Nook for PC/Mac wasn't logical. Not announcing another eink device and staying mum while speculation runs rampant that the nook line is done is not logical.  So we can't use logic to determine what B&N is going to do next, unless we assume that their intention is to remove themselves from the ebook business, which in itself is not logical.

While there are no guarantees, there are reasonable expectations for a company to make logical decisions in favor of staying in business. B&N does not, on the surface, appear to be doing that.

Insecurity about the future of the hardware is one thing, insecurity about the future of B&N's ebook business as a whole is quite another, because it means consumers going elsewhere to buy ebooks.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

[ Edited ]

Harry McCracken has a column in Time Magazine titled:

"It’s Official: Nook Tablets Are Now Ridiculously Cheap"

In the column, he points out that "In either case, I don’t think people who buy a Nook HD or Nook HD+ are going to end up with a doorstop. Now that the tablets work with Google Play services, they’ll be useful no matter what Barnes & Noble ends up doing."

It is an interesting perspective. 
Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1

keriflur wrote:

The concern for me isn't the device, it's the books. 

Insecurity about the future of the hardware is one thing, insecurity about the future of B&N's ebook business as a whole is quite another, because it means consumers going elsewhere to buy ebooks.

I am not particularly concerned with the device either.  I like reading on my nook. 

But I can too easily imagine that, for whatever reasons, B&N might decide to update/enhance/modify the software on my nook to achieve some new objective.  And a change, if they make one, may have an impact on my use of the nook.  I don't have a great degree of trust that if B&N were to make a change, it would do so in a way that will benefit all current users.  And I don't have confidence that, if they were planning a change and were to recognize that some of us might appreciate it while others might not, they will allow us the option to decide whether have their changes applied to our hardware.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Keri (and I think TnT) points out that the interpretations of recent BN actions and inactions as signalling BN intends to "remove themselves from the ebook business, [that is] in itself is not logical."

Not logical to us, but I had thought Riggio was quoted widely was wanting the physical stores and not the Nook division. 

At the time I was surprised he'd give up the college stores to get rid of Nook, since I think margins at college stores (and sales volume per square foot) have got to be very good. 

I am not, at the moment, assuming BN is out of the ebook business, but I am no longer assuming that Barnes and Noble will sell ebooks for as long as there is a shopping chain called Barnes Noble. 

Perhaps what Julie really wants isn't ebooks, but a lifestyle destination to visit- add a second in-store franchise to Starbucks, perhaps something a little more food-oriented?  Chipotle?

Killing support for the apps, clearing remaining inventory of the new devices, not doing anything around e-ink this spring - and quite possibly turning down the Kobo Aura screens, the founder saying he wants only the physical retail operation - one interpretation of this is "we tried ebooks, it was hard, we're out."

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

"I don't have a great degree of trust that if B&N were to make a change, it would do so in a way that will benefit all current users.  And I don't have confidence that, if they were planning a change and were to recognize that some of us might appreciate it"

Good points.  For me, the recent hd/hd+ update was a downgrade, because it removed features I wanted and added nothing I didn't already have, since I was rooted and running the play store. 

It's very persistent about coming back, too.  I had to wipe my device again last night to roll back to 2.0.6 and need to take another look at what I thought was my anti-update juju.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.