Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Discomfort w/ B&N

[ Edited ]

Not sure I understand the concern about eBook format. I've been reading B&N DRM-encumbered eBooks using 3rd party software (Mantano) on non - B&N devices for years with no fuss. I've read you can even handle them with ADE, though I haven't. DRM is no problem for those so inclined to strip it. 

Seabreeze, if you have so little trust in B&N, don't bother. Move to another device, then stress about what the future holds for it. You seem to be seeking assurances nobody here can make. 

Just be aware that you will lose any such flexibility if you buy a Kindle. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

Huh?  "Just be aware that you will lose any such flexibility if you buy a Kindle."

I just bought Lee Smolin's critique of string theory on Amazon (IIRC, a 33% savings over BN) and was reading it in the Nook app within ten minutes of buying it. 

Converting amazon files to epub is actually easier than converting BN files to mobi. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
Barbara_W
0 Kudos

I just purchased the Nook HD+ and downloaded the Kindle app from google play. It works great. This is a little harder on my eyes than my Kindle, but I like having both types of books available without having to root the Nook.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Yes, roust. After stripping DRM, if necessary, that works to read a Kindle book on an epub reader. I was thinking more of epub on a Kindle, and trying to avoid giving ol' Seabreeze more to angst over. He/she is all yours from now on. :smileyhappy: 

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Seabreeze, if you have so little trust in B&N, don't bother. Move to another device, then stress about what the future holds for it. You seem to be seeking assurances nobody here can make. 

I guess I have not made my point clearly enough.  I can distrust B&N for some of the issues I described without having any problem with my device.  Back to my originally stated point - I am not confident enough in B&N to allow them to automatically change my nook software.  So I keep my wifi off.  It is easy enough to buy books and side load them - slightly inconvenient but good for avoiding the risk that I have experienced, and that roustabout described in an earlier post. 

I am not asking for assurances, though it might be nice if B&N did a bit better job in communicating about upcoming software changes.

Angst?  Probably.  But B&N has earned it in my case.

Bye

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Not sure I understand the concern about eBook format. I've been reading B&N DRM-encumbered eBooks using 3rd party software (Mantano) on non - B&N devices for years with no fuss. I've read you can even handle them with ADE, though I haven't. DRM is no problem for those so inclined to strip it.

I think this is response to my statement about my concern for my books, so, let me explain.

I have absolutely no concerns about my existing library, removing DRM, format changes, etc.  I have no concern about the ability to read those books on my nook, now or at any point in the future.  My concerns go to the ease of reading across devices at a whim.

Right now, if I download a book from Kobo, I can read in on my PC, my mac, and all of my devices (both iOS and android), without doing anything on my end to manipulate the file.  If I buy from Google, I can read immediately online (all books, not just some like with B&N), and on all of my devices, again without doing anything.  With B&N, I can read on my PC and all of my devices, and on my nook, without doing anything, and I *might* be able to read on the web.  So right now, everything is good unless I want to read on my mac.  BUT, if B&N decides to pull support from any of the existing apps, or changes anything that disables any of the existing apps (including Nook for PC), then I have to manipulate files, which I'd prefer not to have to do unless I want to, for any device that ISN'T my nook.  I'd like to believe that they would do no such thing, but as I mentioned above, I can't rely on B&N to make logical decisions.  So... why should I keep buying books from them, when I can't feel confident that they have their own best interest at heart, let alone anyone else's?

So, sure, I could strip the DRM and load the files to my devices at will.  But why do that if I can simply buy from someone else and NOT have to fuss with the files?

keriflur

Seabreeze-1 wrote:
I guess I have not made my point clearly enough.  I can distrust B&N for some of the issues I described without having any problem with my device.  Back to my originally stated point - I am not confident enough in B&N to allow them to automatically change my nook software.  So I keep my wifi off.  It is easy enough to buy books and side load them - slightly inconvenient but good for avoiding the risk that I have experienced, and that roustabout described in an earlier post.

I completely agree with this concern, but I've had it since I got my N1E, and the first major update removed the furthest page read option.

FWIW, if you only turn on wifi to download books, check that the books all loaded fully, and then turn it off, you aren't giving the nook enough wifi-on downtime to be able to update.  I've been running with 1.1.2 on my NST for quite a while like that, and I did the same on my N1E when the card-disabling update was trying to push itself to me.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"epub on a Kindle" is every bit as easy.

Take the epub, convert it to mobi format in Calibre, sideload to the relevant folder on a kindle. 

I wasn't thinking that Seabreese was experiencing device angst so much as vendor angst - as I'm sure a lot of folks with large, expensive collections of titles from BN are at this time.  I may be reading that wrong. 

I may, however, be projecting from what interests me most about this round of action and inaction thus didn't hear the question :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

There's also the slightly salient point that stripping DRM is still technically illegal.

bobstro

In all seriousness: If you distrust B&N, don't buy another device from B&N. Problem solved.