Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: Discomfort w/ B&N

bobstro wrote:

In all seriousness: If you distrust B&N, don't buy another device from B&N. Problem solved. 

And this is all they deserve.  As consumers, we don't *owe* any retailer any feedback about what they could do better.  We don't *owe* them second and third and fourth chances.  We don't *owe* them our business if they can't prioritize selling us what we want.  If they want our business, they'll do what they need to do to earn it.

Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

"If you distrust B&N, don't buy another device from B&N. Problem solved."

The problem is that if you've already bought not just the device but the books, you have to decide if you bought the books or if you only bought the rights to the books.  

Me, I bought the books and I've practiced hiding shivs in my black and white stripey pj's, so I'm good.  

If I see Bob in the cafeteria my first day in, I undestand I have to smack him around with my tray for a bit to earn my cred.  Don't worry, though, I'm sure it won't come to using the paper-sharp blade honed from "For Whom the Bell Tolls."  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

bobstro wrote:

In all seriousness: If you distrust B&N, don't buy another device from B&N. Problem solved. 

No, problem is only solved if you don't buy any more ebooks from them either.

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

No, problem is only solved if you don't buy any more ebooks from them either.

Right.  And don't turn on your wifi long enough to allow any software modification.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Hardware, NOOK Books, and other e-books

Doug Pardee: And how is it a problem if B&N were to get completely out of the e-book business? Both my N1E(3G) and NOOK HD are able to read e-books from other vendors. In fact, the majority of my e-book library is from other vendors. And my NOOK HD has the Kindle app on it.

While I don't believe that physical books on the verge of disappearing, I do think that ebooks are going to play a major role in the future. If I'm right about that, getting out of the ebook business could prove to be a problem for B&N - not the owners of B&N devices.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Now wait a second, Seabreeze:

If your angst is based on unwanted updates to a NOOK you aren't planning to replace, you can root and block OTA (over the air) updates forever. I've done this on NSTs, NCs and NTs. I assume it can be done on HD/+ as well, though I've not done it. 

If your angst is about buying a new device,  if that new device is not from B&N, what do their updates matter? I already mentioned 2 or 3 ways to deal with their DRM. 

If you don't want a new device, and you don't want to figure out how to prevent B&N from doing unwanted things to the device you paid for, other than backing up your eBooks, all you can do is be a happy little sheeple and hope that big truck is taking you to greener pastures like they promised. 

You are as stuck as you want to be. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Now wait a second, Seabreeze. Your angst is all predicated on buying a new device. If that new device is not from B&N, what do their updates matter? I already mentioned 2 or 3 ways to deal with their DRM. 

I'm pretty sure Seabreeze doesn't want to buy a new device, just to not have to worry that B&N will send an update that removes functionality from the current device.  It's a legitimate fear, given that B&N has a history of doing just that.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You caught me editing, Keri! Sorry. 

Unless B&N totally changes format, you can still buy their eBooks to read on the device of your choice. If they DO change format, won't you be glad you switched! 

If you don't trust B&N but want to keep a NOOK but not learn to block OTA updates, sure turn off wifi and pray that you never forget it. Sideload every book. I guess that's an answer. 

My only point is that we don't have to be satisfied with B&N's way if we don't want to be. I sure as hardback edition don't know what they're thinking nowadays!

Personally, if a device won't do what I want, and I can't modify it to do so, I replace it. I use these toys for pleasure, not to fret endlessly over. 

bobstro

roustabout wrote:

i bought the books and I've practiced hiding shivs in my black and white stripey pj's, so I'm good.  

If I see Bob in the cafeteria my first day in, I undestand I have to smack him around with my tray for a bit to earn my cred.  Don't worry, though, I'm sure it won't come to using the paper-sharp blade honed from "For Whom the Bell Tolls."  

You best not be comin' around THIS block with no NOOK. This is Mantano turf. 

MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

While I don't believe that physical books on the verge of disappearing, I do think that ebooks are going to play a major role in the future. If I'm right about that, getting out of the ebook business could prove to be a problem for B&N - not the owners of B&N devices.

If B&N gets out of the e-book business, they may as well close up shop.  Long-term, I don't see how a DTB-only business can survive, especially a brick-and-mortar one.