Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry

Disgusted with my library's selection

[ Edited ]

I've been looking around my public library's selection of books on Overdrive. I was really put off when I went to the "New eBooks" section. There were a total of 19 pages of new additions to the e-library. At 10 books per page that would make just short of 190 new books. EVERY ONE of them save ONE mystery novel was a steamy romance novel. Is that what I have to look forward to? I know some people like steamy romance novels but they are not my cup of tea. I'm a guy. I'd like to see just about anything else be offered by my library. Of course I went through and found many older books that weren't in the above catagory.

Is that what libraries have reduced themselves to? Are there going to be any new publications that are not in the romance catagory?

I hope it's going to improve!

{end of rant}

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Disgusted with my library's selection

I don't think the publishers are making it any easier for the libraries.

Correspondent
moogs

Libraries have limited funds and try to keep the offerings fresh and geared toward the customer. Romance is cheap because it's easier to churn out and there is so much of it available.

Instead of complaining, you could contact the library and find out what board you could join that would allow you to influence purchasing. While on it you could seek ways to gain additional town funding to expand the library selection and services.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

It may be because that is what people are borrowing. The person who orders the books selects what is bought. Even so, that is strange. There are a ton of new ebooks available. I would ask the library director about it. I don't usually read romance and I would be sorely disappointed at this. Overdrive is expensive for libraries. Another thought is maybe they have someone new ordering the books.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

japerry wrote:

EVERY ONE of them save ONE mystery novel was a steamy romance novel. Is that what I have to look forward to? 

Have you requested they purchase anythinge?  I'm in a large library system, but have requested several books that have magically appeared on the shelves days and weeks later.

If people are borrowing library ebooks and nobody is requesting anything else, that's what is going to be ordered.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hi japerry,

Try taking a list of available ebooks you think are important to your librarian/library board.  Libraries are limited by library acquisions budgets and availablilty of titles in the ebook format.  I've worked with librarians in my store - they come in with lists of books and I know that patron suggestions/requests often influence what is purchased with the funds available.

japerry wrote:

I've been looking around my public library's selection of books on Overdrive. I was really put off when I went to the "New eBooks" section. There were a total of 19 pages of new additions to the e-library. At 10 books per page that would make just short of 190 new books. EVERY ONE of them save ONE mystery novel was a steamy romance novel. Is that what I have to look forward to? I know some people like steamy romance novels but they are not my cup of tea. I'm a guy. I'd like to see just about anything else be offered by my library. Of course I went through and found many older books that weren't in the above catagory.

Is that what libraries have reduced themselves to? Are there going to be any new publications that are not in the romance catagory?

I hope it's going to improve!

{end of rant}

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

japerry wrote:

It's not the libraries. The publishers are pulling out of library lending, now that Amazon has become involved.

As of now, only two of the 'Big 6' US trade publishing houses provide new titles to libraries. HarperCollins requires that the libraries buy a new copy after every 26 lendings, while Random House just tripled their e-book prices to libraries. Penguin and Hachette will only provide old titles, while Simon&Schuster and Macmillan won't provide any titles at all.

The librarians are fuming, but there doesn't seem to be much they can do about it. They started a petition at whitehouse.gov, but it didn't get enough signatures to make the first cut.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

As of now, only two of the 'Big 6' US trade publishing houses provide new titles to libraries. HarperCollins requires that the libraries buy a new copy after every 26 lendings, while Random House just tripled their e-book prices to libraries. Penguin and Hachette will only provide old titles, while Simon&Schuster and Macmillan won't provide any titles at all. 

Additionally, in this blog post, the Acting Director of the San Rafael Library system discusses how some libraries have access to more titles than others in the Overdrive Catalog.

[ETA:  This was found and originally posted by someone else here; I can't remeber where or who, just that it happened, so I googled and posted the link.  I take no credit for finding or knowing this, lest someone call me names.]

keriflur

Last I heard, Harlequin is still available for library lending under the usual terms, and is one of the biggest publishing houses outside of the big six.  So...

patgolfneb

Perhaps it is time to create a library subscription service. Libraries pay a set fee everytime a title is checked out, since it is obvious none of us really owns our ebooks. That way revenues for all would be based on titles popularity. My concern would be a fee strucure community libraries could sustain, publishers and authors might dislike my perspective but a break for libraries is part of their civic responsibiliy in return for the generous long term copyright protection they receive. The other concern is the current delivery service, overdrive, reportedly charges a high fee for their services, combined fees, especially for childrens books, could cripple libraries. The focus on authors,  publishers, retailers, rights and business needs has meant there is little attention paid to their responsibilities.