Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Disgusted with my library's selection

patgolfneb wrote:

Perhaps it is time to create a library subscription service. Libraries pay a set fee everytime a title is checked out, since it is obvious none of us really owns our ebooks. That way revenues for all would be based on titles popularity. My concern would be a fee strucure community libraries could sustain, publishers and authors might dislike my perspective but a break for libraries is part of their civic responsibiliy in return for the generous long term copyright protection they receive. The other concern is the current delivery service, overdrive, reportedly charges a high fee for their services, combined fees, especially for childrens books, could cripple libraries. The focus on authors,  publishers, retailers, rights and business needs has meant there is little attention paid to their responsibilities. 

Who gets to set the fee?  Given that publishers are the rights holders, IMO this would not work out well for libraries.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I would try talking to whoever does the ebook ordering for your library and request the type of books you are interested in. My library system has a digital librarian that is responsible for ordering ebooks. They are very responsive to requests. I just looked throught he new ebooks list at my library and there were hardly any romances. They just ordered a bunch of non-fiction and children's and teen books. I also notioced a bunch of mysteries and crime stories. That's not to say they don't have a ton of romance offerings because they do, I just didn't notice that many in the listing for new books.

My library also has a bunch of nooks they loan out. Each one is preloaded with lots of books of one genre (for instance all mysteries or all fantasy or all romance, etc.). I'm not sure if they bought nook books from B&N publ;ished by the big 6 and that's how they got around the library lending of those titles thing or if they have the same books in their overdrive listing sideloaded to the nooks. I haven't actually gone to look at them. I know they're also supposed to get Kindles and Sony's too, but I'm not sure if they have them yet. (I only know about the nooks because they have a really big "The Nooks Have Arrived" and an article about it on the home page of the website.)

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

My library has a link to overdirve on their website, but when I click it then choose an item from the overdrive library it links me to, they aren't listed. Does this mena my library doesn't have that particular? That's my assumption at least. I am not new to e-books at all, I have been reading them since the days of the Palm V. But I am new to "borrowing" them.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
New User
mcreader66

I work for a public library and we added Overdrive and e-books to our collection in January 2012.  There is a learning curve involved for new users and staff, too.  It isn't exactly a seamless process and libraries are limited by budgets and publisher restrictions. 

Your library and/or library website should have instructions to get you started with borrowing e-books.  You will probably need to set up an Adobe Digital Editions account and make sure that your library account is in good standing.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sheri 

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mcreader66 wrote:

I work for a public library and we added Overdrive and e-books to our collection in January 2012.  There is a learning curve involved for new users and staff, too.  It isn't exactly a seamless process and libraries are limited by budgets and publisher restrictions. 

Your library and/or library website should have instructions to get you started with borrowing e-books.  You will probably need to set up an Adobe Digital Editions account and make sure that your library account is in good standing.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sheri 

Thanks Sheri,

I've been using Overdrive and ADE for sometime now. I've actually written a few PDF's on how to set things up and submitted them to the local library for distribution to patrons.

As far as attending meetings the library or submitting a book list or making any recommendations, that's out of the question for the time being. My trips to the library have been severely curtailed as an automobile accident has left me bed-ridden for the forseeable future... The suggestions ae good though. Maybe I can email them about my concerns.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
japerry

japerry wrote:

Thanks Sheri,

I've been using Overdrive and ADE for sometime now. I've actually written a few PDF's on how to set things up and submitted them to the local library for distribution to patrons.

As far as attending meetings the library or submitting a book list or making any recommendations, that's out of the question for the time being. My trips to the library have been severely curtailed as an automobile accident has left me bed-ridden for the forseeable future... The suggestions ae good though. Maybe I can email them about my concerns.

Taking my own suggestion, I have submitted the following email to my local library. I hope they will read and consider my suggestion.

Hello xxxxx,

I hope I am contacting the right person.

I am a subscriber to Overdrive and have been using the service to check out electronic books from (library name masked) Library.

Recently I was looking at the "New Books" section of Overdrive to see what new ebooks were available. To my chagrin in 19 pages of new listings (approximately 190 books) only one or two books were NOT steamy romance novels. I saw in the general selections that you do have many older publications that cover a wide spectrum of interests but there is nothing new.

I'm an older male, bedridden due to an auto accident and cannot come to the library to check out physical books. I depend on my Nook for my reading needs.

I would like to request that if possible, (library name masked) Library consider including new electronic books that address a wider spectrum of reading tastes. I understand there is a big calling for romance novels but they are not my "cup of tea". The addition of some action/adventure novels from authors like Tom Clancy and others like him and Science Fiction would probably be welcomed by all.

Thank you for your time.

My First Short Story
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

That's a really good letter, japerry. I'm a reference librarian in addition to a B&N bookseller, and as a librarian, I want to thank you for being proactive in approaching your library about their eBook collection. :smileyhappy:

I've been frustrated by the moves the publishers have been making against the libraries, as mentioned upthread by Doug. It limits what we can offer our patrons, in a time where we're already constrained by shrinking budgets.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

[ Edited ]

japerry wrote:
The addition of some action/adventure novels from authors like Tom Clancy and others like him and Science Fiction would probably be welcomed by all.

Just to point out that Tom Clancy is published by Penguin, and Penguin is no longer selling e-books to libraries. If the library has some older titles that they bought back when Penguin was selling to libraries, they can continue to lend those.

For science-fiction, here are the major publishers:

1. Tor is a Macmillan publisher, and none of their e-books have ever been made available to libraries.
  2. Del Rey/Spectra is a Random House publisher, and Random House just tripled their prices to libraries.
  3. Gollancz is a UK publisher, and their e-books aren't available in the US.
  4. Ace is a Penguin publisher, and none of their new e-books are available to libraries.
  5. Doubleday is a Random House publisher, and Random House just tripled their prices to libraries.
  6. Orbit is a Hachette publisher, and none of their new e-books are available to libraries.

As JL_Garner noted, the big publishers are making it very difficult for the libraries.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

That's a really good letter, japerry. I'm a reference librarian in addition to a B&N bookseller, and as a librarian, I want to thank you for being proactive in approaching your library about their eBook collection. :smileyhappy:

I've been frustrated by the moves the publishers have been making against the libraries, as mentioned upthread by Doug. It limits what we can offer our patrons, in a time where we're already constrained by shrinking budgets.

Why thank you! I really appreciate that. Maybe if we could all support our libraries either financially or speaking out to the community to create public awareness we can change the course of how libraries are treated in the electronic publishing industry. 

My First Short Story
Inspired Correspondent
japerry

Amazing!

[ Edited ]

This is fantastic! I actually received an email from the person that does the ebook ordering at the library!

"Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for the lovely email. I appreciate your input. Actually I was just getting ready to order some new books to put on the Overdrive system when your email came in. I have been ordering electronic books for the library for over two years and you are the first person to demonstrate any interest in helping me select material for inclusion in Overdrive. It makes me feel good to know that someone cares enough to let me know how I'm doing and is willing to offer some advice. Based on your email I am revising my order and have attempted to select a variety of books at random. Please check our Overdrive listing tomorrow and you will see I have selected this week's books purely at random. I would like to hear back from you if you are so inclined.

xxxxxxx (library name masked) Library"

So..... I logged into Overdrive. What did I see on the "new Books" page? I saw mystery/suspense, self-help, medical, historical fact, historical fiction, adventure, children's, science, education, etc.

It's a great start! Thank you for listening!

What did we learn from this? The old adage still applies. "If you don't ask for it you won't get it"

And on top of everything else I've made a new friend! :smileyvery-happy:

My First Short Story