Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

Re: John Green on Libraries v. Piracy

keriflur wrote:

http://fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com/post/19953477001/why-libraries-are-different-from-piracy

John Green's comments are insightful and thought provoking.  I am pretty much in agreement with everything he said, even though I am not an author.

Regarding the argument (not made by Green) comparing piracy with civil disobedience, I guess, then, that the looters who come out every time their team wins a basketball championship are simply engaging in civil disobedience, and are to be commended for their participation in the foundations of democracy by smashing and stealing. 

Theft is theft.  What is it that makes otherwise-honest people believe that they are any different from looters, shoplifters, burglars or robbers when they "steal" copyrighted works?   That whole notion is just crazy!  :smileytongue:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

Thank for the link.  While I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but I did find this statement particularly funny.

What's the difference between pirating a book and checking it out from the library?

I'm sorry, but if you don't understand the fundamental difference between those two, you probably need to go back to high school and work on your education some more.

High school?  How about grammar school?  :smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

deesy58 wrote:

kamas716 wrote:

Thank for the link.  While I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but I did find this statement particularly funny.

What's the difference between pirating a book and checking it out from the library?

I'm sorry, but if you don't understand the fundamental difference between those two, you probably need to go back to high school and work on your education some more.

High school?  How about grammar school?  :smileyfrustrated:

The sad thing is that he wouldn't be posting the question if people weren't asking him what the difference is. :smileysad:

It really is amazing how many people don't get it.  I see authors posting all the time on twitter and their blogs about how people tell them that they pirated their books, like they're proud of it and expect the author to be happy about it.  It's like walking up to a someone and saying, "Hey, I stole some cash out of your wallet. Aren't you excited?"

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I wish I was so special that others should be flattered  I made the effort to steal and read their book, where did I go wrong?  Do I suffer from low self esteem?