Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Thrillers4Me
0 Kudos

Do I make the jump away from "real" books? If so, which Nook?

I have held off buying an e-reader b/c I like the real book experience, and my sisters and I share books.  For traveling I'm thinking again of an e-reader, but I'd rather tote 2-3 books than lose my ability to share book with 3 other people.

I just left B&N and came here to look at LendMe that was listed in one of the brochures.  I thought FINALLY I can test the waters even if it is only for books to read on the road.  But, I read  (an admittedly) old review that said I could only lend the book out once, and only for 14 days.  Are these limits still in place?  I don't mind that the three of us can't read at the same time as we don't do that anyways with a real book.

I was once told that I MIGHT be able to share if the Nooks were purchased with the same credit card.  Is this true?

And I've just scanned here and saw something called sideloading.  What are it's abilities and limitations?

And, if there is an answer for sharing, which Nook do you all suggest?  I read a lot in bed, but the others don't.  I'd probably like to link it to my computer for backup if nothing else.  I would like to surf too so I'd thought about the Nook Tablet, or Nook Color, but I'm thinking those won't be great for reading in bed.

My eyes are over 40 and look at a computer screen all day.  Do those of you in the same situation like using a Nook?  Do you suffer from more eye strain?

Thanks!!

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Do I make the jump away from "real" books? If so, which Nook?

My eyes are in the same situation, and I definitely would not recommend the Nook Tablet or Nook Color for you. The Nook Simple Touch is the way to go. For reading in bed, you'll probably want the newly anncounced model with the glow light (available May 1). That gives you the best of both worlds. You can read it easily without eyestrain anywhere from bright sunlight to total darkness.

As far as sharing with your sisters goes, I believe that it doesn't matter whose credit card is used to buy the device. The important factor is the B&N account used to register the device. If you all register your Nooks using the same B&N account (same email and password) then you'll all automatically have access to the whole library of ebooks you buy at B&N.

That's the simplest way to share with family members or others you trust. The other way is to have separate accounts and tell each other the credit card number you use to buy ebooks. You can then sideload each other's books, and the Nook will ask you to enter the credit card number to get access. (Search the forum for "sideload" and you'll find plenty of info about what it means and how to do it.)

That's how I think sharing works. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Our family shares my account (my two sisters, my mother and my sister-in-law). Between us we have 6 nooks (I have 2), some eink and some color. If they want to buy a book, they just add a gift certificate to my account, then shop.The one thing I keep a close eye on though, is to make sure they don't delete a book after they have read it!.

My hubby has his own account, as he reads totally different things. If either of us has a book the other might like, we sideload it and use the other's credit card number to unlock it. He gifted his older nook color with all of his ebooks to his son, who has the same reading tastes as he does.

For his two daughters, we gifted our 1st edition nooks, and side-loaded books from both of our libraries which they might like before giving them to them (I entered the credit card number to unlock them, but they do not have access to it). That way, they can set up their own account and buy what they want, as only 6 nook devces can be on one account.

If you download Nook for PC (does not count in your 6 devices), and download your B&N library to your PC, my understanding is that you can also email a book to a friend; they can download it to Nook for PC, then sideload it to their nook long distance (this is only an option if you trust them with your credit card number).

Finally, I will occasionally lend out my e-ink nook to a friend to try out and read a few books. The one aspect we don't use is the "Lend Me" feature; but that's also available for some books.

So you see, there are many ways to share digital books.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Thrillers4Me wrote:

I have held off buying an e-reader b/c I like the real book experience, and my sisters and I share books.  For traveling I'm thinking again of an e-reader, but I'd rather tote 2-3 books than lose my ability to share book with 3 other people.

I just left B&N and came here to look at LendMe that was listed in one of the brochures.  I thought FINALLY I can test the waters even if it is only for books to read on the road.  But, I read  (an admittedly) old review that said I could only lend the book out once, and only for 14 days.  Are these limits still in place?  I don't mind that the three of us can't read at the same time as we don't do that anyways with a real book.

I was once told that I MIGHT be able to share if the Nooks were purchased with the same credit card.  Is this true?

And I've just scanned here and saw something called sideloading.  What are it's abilities and limitations?

And, if there is an answer for sharing, which Nook do you all suggest?  I read a lot in bed, but the others don't.  I'd probably like to link it to my computer for backup if nothing else.  I would like to surf too so I'd thought about the Nook Tablet, or Nook Color, but I'm thinking those won't be great for reading in bed.

My eyes are over 40 and look at a computer screen all day.  Do those of you in the same situation like using a Nook?  Do you suffer from more eye strain?

Thanks!!

My eyes are over 50 and I look at a computer screen all day also.  I have the first Nook, the NST and the NookColor.  While I do read on the NookColor it's not my first choice.  I like reading on the eInk readers.  The NST is much lighter, easier to hold and easier on my eyes.  However, you cannot access the internet with it, so if that a feature you want, you'll need to go with the color or the tablet.  It doesn't matter which Nook, you can share books between them using one of the two methods below.

As far as sharing books, first I'm assuming the others would be also buying a Nook of some type?

You have two options.

1.  Register all the devices to one account.  If you do that, everyone will have all the same books on each device.  You could run into a problem if you are reading the same book at the same time.  The Nook will try and sync the pages on the two books.  You can only set one default credit card, so one credit card would be used to pay for all the books.

2.  You can each have your own account and you can share books using sideloading, which is nothing more than copying the books from your computer to each Nook.  When the Nook is connected to the computer, it functions as an external storage device, like a USB flash drive or external hard drive.  You simply copy the books to the Nook.  You'll need to enter the cc that was used to purchase the books once. After entering it once it will open all the books purchased with the card.  Read these instructions on how to share books.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.  Oh yeah, NookBooks are "real" books, they just a different format. :smileywink:

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If  you lend it to is family members, then there is another way to lend the book. You can have them sideload the book. The first time a screen should pop up asking if you the ccard # attached to the account the book is from. Enter it once, It will not ask for any other books after that (unless your friend needs to reset their Nook for some reason or other)..

I would imagine there is some way a slick hacker might be able to pull your ccard from that, but normal people will not.. Your ccard isn't pastered all over the book in any way.

One thing I found helpful was that when you download your book to a pc.. It will come in with some long winded number, then a version number, then ,epub

ex: 9781426736582_epub.v2.epub    (change it to )  Booktitle.epub   (remove the version totally or it will not work, and the booktitle will just make it easier for you).

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

moose_tracker wrote:

If  you lend it to is family members, then there is another way to lend the book. You can have them sideload the book. The first time a screen should pop up asking if you the ccard # attached to the account the book is from. Enter it once, It will not ask for any other books after that (unless your friend needs to reset their Nook for some reason or other)..

I would imagine there is some way a slick hacker might be able to pull your ccard from that, but normal people will not.. Your ccard isn't pastered all over the book in any way.

One thing I found helpful was that when you download your book to a pc.. It will come in with some long winded number, then a version number, then ,epub

ex: 9781426736582_epub.v2.epub    (change it to )  Booktitle.epub   (remove the version totally or it will not work, and the booktitle will just make it easier for you).

As an FYI, if you download the books using Nook for PC, rather than using the download option from the webiste, you get a recognizable file name (ex:  zenandtheartofrunnin_9781440513411.epub).  If it much easier to just use Nook for PC to download everything.  I get the book name and they always are downloaded to the same place.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@moosetracker,

Regarding downloading ebooks to your PC; if you download nook for pc, then go into "My Documents", My BN ebooks, and click on the folder with your email address, the books will have the title instead of number, and will not have the double epub extension.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

I guess I am just a rebel who hates anything going into my documents area.. What a convoluted mess, and lack of control. I much prefer creating my own folders and managing them myself..

That way, on my pc, I have created my own shelves by putting them all under a folder called C:\NookBooks, then i have subfolders for "HaveRead" "Want To Read" "Freebooks of Intrest" etc..

But, yes I guess for most people the NookForPC will work well.. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

My nieghbor and I both have the Nook color, we ech buy different books, unless its somethig we both reallty want.Then we just trade Nooks for a while. Of course if you don't trust your sisters I guess that wouldn't work.

Wordsmith
Fred011

Sun_Cat wrote:

My eyes are in the same situation, and I definitely would not recommend the Nook Tablet or Nook Color for you. The Nook Simple Touch is the way to go. For reading in bed, you'll probably want the newly anncounced model with the glow light (available May 1). That gives you the best of both worlds. You can read it easily without eyestrain anywhere from bright sunlight to total darkness.

As far as sharing with your sisters goes, I believe that it doesn't matter whose credit card is used to buy the device. The important factor is the B&N account used to register the device. If you all register your Nooks using the same B&N account (same email and password) then you'll all automatically have access to the whole library of ebooks you buy at B&N.

That's the simplest way to share with family members or others you trust. The other way is to have separate accounts and tell each other the credit card number you use to buy ebooks. You can then sideload each other's books, and the Nook will ask you to enter the credit card number to get access. (Search the forum for "sideload" and you'll find plenty of info about what it means and how to do it.)

That's how I think sharing works. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

"The other way is to have separate accounts and tell each other the credit card number you use to buy ebooks. You can then sideload each other's books, and the Nook will ask you to enter the credit card number to get access."

Not having done this as explained above, I was wondering if the person with the original CC number had set the PIN number option for purchases, would the Nook also require the PIN number information to "unlock" the book on the other person's reader?  If not, it seems a lot "safer" to let someone else have the CC number to share books.