Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
j.cafesin

Do book trailers help sell books?

Please share your wisdom and experiences for novices like me.

Here's mine:

http://reverbnovel.com/

Would love some feedback!!

www.jcafesin.com
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Re: Do book trailers help sell books?

I don't know about in general, but I don't even look at videos about books. A book is about reading, and I want to read your blurb so I can see how well you write. If it looks something like this:

u shud reed my book becuz its rly grate i put alot of time into it and i think its as good as harry pooter you dont want 2 miss this kthxbye

I'll pass. :smileytongue: On the other hand, a blurb like this one for Bubba and the Dead Woman will definitely make me interested:

Bubba is a good old boy with lots of problems. His ex-fiancee is deader than a door nail and everyone thinks he dun did it. His house is haunted. His mother is running an illegal gambling ring. His dog likes to bite people too much. And he's got to find out who really did it before the sheriff throws him in jail...again.

I spend a lot of time looking over Smashwords for titles of interest, and I'm stunned at how bad most of the the blurbs are. You're writers, people! Don't get lazy on the blurb. Typos, grammatical errors, punctuation errors, and wrong words have no place there. Neither do rhetorical questions, past tense, a summary of the whole story, or explanations of the theme. Just tell me why the protag is interesting, and give me an idea of the problems the protag will be facing. And be specific!

Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh wow, I don't know if they do but I certainly do enjoy making them.  Maybe cuz I'm a screenwriter at heart and making trailers is my may of fulfilling my desire to see my work in film formats.  I mean I started selling my screenplays as eBooks when I got tired of Hollywood telling me there wasn't an audience for my work.  Thank God my readers and fans don't support Hollywood's opinion of my work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlMHlGH

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I like book trailers. And I have bought a few books because of them.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

In my opinion, any kind of advertising can help generate sales.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Personally I would never consider watching a video about a book. Something about it seems odd to me. I read descriptions about books to determine if they sound good. It is a concept that doesn't work for me. Interesting covers also makes me look at a book.

Contributor
Bookworm1279
0 Kudos

In The Pool Really for me no I've never really seen trailers well not until I started reading THE HOUSE OF NIGHT series but other then that nope do not watch trailers for books. I mostly go by cover designs really.:smileyvery-happy: 

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

Hard to say.

I never know where the purchases came from.

I wish B&N had a system in place to track visitors to your book's page, so that we could see where the heck these people are coming from.

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

I don't ever watch book trailers, but hey, as someone above said, most advertising reaches someone.  Just because it isn't my thing doesn't mean there aren't tons of people who love them.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Frequent Contributor
tgibbs
0 Kudos

I am VERY new to Book Trailers but I have actually had a very enthusiastic response to mine and I have had my very best weeks stats wise... I'm sure that my book trailer is not the only reason, but anything that helps is welcome. My thoughts are that Book Trailers would probably appeal more to folks who love YouTube and spend a lot of time there and maybe having one there might snag a few of them to look into my book further.  Other than that I believe it's a really neat thing to be able to post on Facebook and my website...

This is a very interesting topic and I'm definitely going to be tracking my results.  So, far when I've asked readers it's been mixed. 

In Case anyone is curious here's mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1QazpO6aZU

Tammie

Tammie Clarke Gibbs
Author

ISLAND OF SECRETS
A Time Travel
A Love Story filled with Suspense
A Mystery that will keep you guessing til the end...

COUNTERFEIT KISSES
He's undercover, she's on a quest for revenge...
Historical Romantic Suspense

8 Hours to Jump Start Your Career: A Step-by-Step Guide for Self-Published Authors
Forget about spending 8 hours a day promoting your books...