MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

Do you judge a book by it's cover?

When I first began thinking seriously to publish my book I read alot about how important the cover of the book is. While I'm sure the covers has a certain "importance" I can't say that when I choice a book it's solely based on the cover. I tend to look at the back of the book to determine whether I would purchase it or not. I find the back is really more important than the front. What do you think?

MLT
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: Do you judge a book by it's cover?

For it really depends on what kind of book it is.  Generally, I don't.  But with some forms of genre fiction like science fiction and fantasy I do.  I'm not sure why but it seems like in these genres a bad cover is generally more indicitive of a bad book, much moreso than in non-genre literature.  And if it's a fantasy book I'll always take a look at the map first!  

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Believe it or not, despite the fact that I am an active reader and do my best NOT to judge a book by its cover, if the cover is shiny and with an interesting image that catches my eye, I tend to go for that book over the one with the flat, expressionless and OLD cover.

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

"Your dream vacation, smile hostage refuge, a work in progress, you bleed just like you puke while running the mile."

-Pretty Handsome Awkward, The Used
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MLT wrote:

When I first began thinking seriously to publish my book I read alot about how important the cover of the book is. While I'm sure the covers has a certain "importance" I can't say that when I choice a book it's solely based on the cover. I tend to look at the back of the book to determine whether I would purchase it or not. I find the back is really more important than the front. What do you think?

Book covers/jackets are kind of like salad dressings over a salad.  Everyone has their own tastes. Some spicy, some cheesy, some tart, some bland...but it should complement what it covers.

Generally, and personally, speaking:

When I read a book, I want to feel that the cover suited it.  If I go to pick out a book by an author I've never heard of, I want to read the title, and anything else , front and back, that will give me a feel for what the author is going to say to me.  If other writers have written blurbs about this new author, and I know these authors' reputations, then it means something to me.  It helps me decide.  Color, design, the placement of the title, the author's name, it all says something to me.  So, there are times when I do judge a book by it's cover, before I read it.

Other times, I pick a book that a trusted friend has recommended, who knows my tastes in reading material, no matter what the cover looks like.  If it's a good read, then I could care less what the cover says.  The exception is, when the cover doesn't do the story justice.  Then I feel sorry for the author.

A book's cover, if it stays around over the years, will always change.  It's interesting to see the cover of a book that was printed, say, thirty years ago, and look at the new updated cover of today.  Styles change, changing with history's tastes.  The new designers will look at the book cover of old, and say...hmm, how can I make it appeal to this new generation of readers.  Covers change, like tastes in salad dressings.

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-06-2009 03:00 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's one of my worst weaknesses--judging a book by its cover. And when I'm reading romances, it matters. If the front cover is plain and only has words on it, I drop it. I just can't help it. It seems unimaginative and definitely not creative.

I think that's why self-help books never catch my eye...

Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 04-07-2009 03:32 PM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

A well-designed and chosen cover will draw the eye - the blurbs and summary do the rest. 

MLT wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
Sailem
0 Kudos

if i have never heard of the author..or book..then yes...when i shop for books, if i hvnt been recommended any particular book, the cover is really what catches my attention.

kuz even if you read the back of the book, its not like it'll tell you "dont read me i suck"

plus on the cover it shows all the awards and reviews its recieved.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I concur with Sailem if I wasn't recommended a book then yes. I read Fantasy and when  I'm in the book store the first thing I see of course is the cover if it looks cool or interesting I pick it up. Don't get me wrong I won't just buy it for the cover though the discription has to catch my attention to. The cover is just what gets me to pick up the book in the first place. 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-08-2009 09:29 AM
Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-08-2009 09:30 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

Hi Jon

Thanks for your interesting feedback, I've never really thought to look at a cover based on the type of book it represents. However, now I might see covers in a whole new light.

MLT
MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT

I read a book called "Drowning Ruth" and the hardback cover was pretty basic but the story inside was great. I wonder how many good books are skipped because the cover isn't appealing? In this world it seems there is a survey for everything, it would be interested to read that survey. :smileyhappy:

MLT