Wordsmith
kiakar

Re: Do you judge a book by it's cover?

The Cover,of course, is the first awareness that I could be interested in reading the book.

Financial reasons enhance me to read the description of the book. And some styles of writing I can't get in to so I read a little, maybe the first few pages.

I guess this is just a human fact, we judge others by the cover so we would do the same for whatever we choose, wouldn't we?

When we are purchasing a car, doesn't it have to be a certain criteria that we have invisioned that we desire. If its not to be a fixer upper then the color is important, the body style and whether it is sleek or shabby looking even if its just for economical purposes.  This is our first choice anyway, but then we may have to  reason that we need to get away from that first look and discover what is feasible all the way around the car.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

MLT wrote:

I read a book called "Drowning Ruth" and the hardback cover was pretty basic but the story inside was great. I wonder how many good books are skipped because the cover isn't appealing? In this world it seems there is a survey for everything, it would be interested to read that survey. :smileyhappy:

You are so right! I read that book MLT, and it was super written and the story was fantastic.

MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

Thanks Kiakar....I was trying to read Pride and Prejudice recently and found that after about thirty pages I just couldn't find the strength to continue. I think some books were born to be movies. The screen makes the story so much more interesting and real.
MLT
Contributor
Bachanon
0 Kudos

Dropping Almonds  Book cover and title very important to this biz book! Enjoy...
Inspired Contributor
GrouchoMarxist
0 Kudos

If a text appears to be produced in a person's basement and contains zero credibility, such as a historical book produced by an extremist group, I usually pass when I see the hilariously low-budget cover.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
~ Groucho Marx
New User
Jelibean
0 Kudos

Yes, I do alot of time si want a intresting book with a intresting cover the cover is suppose attarct your readers if u had a cover with a white background and rhe books name on it that would be boring no one would pick it up.
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I have to say that while I do not intentially do this I will find myself grabbing a book from the shelf because I liked the cover. I think it is important for a new author to have an interresting cover if they want to suceed. This is unfair though because not everyone has the same taste and what might catch one person's eye may not do the same for the other.
Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

I dont generally judge a book by its cover, but I will fully admit that a good/great/eyecatching cover will at least pique my interest enough to pick it up and find out what it is.  I generally grab books I would not normally grab, because the cover has caught my eye and I read the synopsis and see if it would be something I would be interested in.  I generally read the first page or two as well, because the idea might be good, but the way/feel of the writing might not be to my liking.  I tend to shy away from overwordy stories etc.

Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

could not agree more Paul...Dean Koontz's covers always seem to be lacking, in everything but the cheese factor.  I have never liked the covers of his books.

the Christine Falls cover is very very good...I would say it would probably be one of the best I have noticed lately.

Xan
Contributor
Xan
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is good or bad, but I do judge a book by its cover.  If it has an attractive cover with pleasing colors, I'll pick it up and at least read the review.  I may or may not buy the book, but if I don't like the cover, I won't even pick it up.  I'm sure I've missed many good books because of this and I really should give the different covers a chance.

Xan

Xan