Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Do you judge a book by it's cover?

Yes, Advertisers do know how transparent most of us humans are, because they are also human so they know the tactics to sell their books and other wares too. I do love to look at colorful covers and sometimes I am even tempted just to take the lovely book to the cash register but since money is tight, I do not do that anymore.   I do read the exerpt in the beginning of the book to venture into what the book is about.
Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

No-but I do by its title. I was at Barnes & Noble recently,and I picked up the book Lies My Teacher Told Me:Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong,I looked inside and I loved it. So I bought it. You can't judge a book by its cover,but you can by its title if you look inside carefully.
Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

I am completely guilty of judging a book by its cover.  I would never have picked up the last three books.  The last three books were quite excellent.  I actually loved them.  It's hard to really pick a good book.  I mostly go by reviews and recommendations from friends.  Have a fabulous day!
"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Frequent Contributor
Shapatm
0 Kudos

I know that I pick up booked based on their covers when I'm browsing in a book store.  Sometime I even question recommendation I've received based on what I think of a cover.  If a friend recommends a book and the cover isn't so great, I do wonder if I really want to read that book.  It's totally shallow and not fair to the author or book but I know that I do just books buy their covers.
Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Yes! Especially science fiction and fantasy!
Contributor
chokeword
0 Kudos

Aah! Everyone seems so ashamed of this! (But everyone does it...) I think it's actually pretty cool the amount of thought and art that goes into a book cover. It may not get accross what exactly is in the book, but it can usually give you some idea of the attitude of it.

I'm gonna take a risk and reveal a super top-secret bit of information about the book business, and retail in general. WE LIE! Kind of... I've actually gotten really good at judging a book by it's cover, to the point where I can often give a customer a rough plotline. It's impossible to read every single book in a bookstore (although I'd *love* to) but people ask for so many recommendations, that you have to be able to say with confidence what type of book it is. 

One of my favorite go-to phrases is "Well, I haven't read it, but my sister has and she loved it. It's a wonderful (comedic chick-lit, dramatic beach read, military action thriller, satirical classic, medical mystery, etc...)! I don't have to go into details that might give me away, but I can still give it a good recommendation. Sneaky, eh?

It sounds shady, but it's surprisingly accurate. Brings me repeat customers!

I will say though, that if I *have* read a book and *didn't* like it, I won't hestitate to say so, and instead lead them to something truly delicious.