Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

Re: Do you judge a book by it's cover?

I loved your response!!!!! Very in depth. Thank you for your feedback.
MLT
MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

I was wondering if it's just me... but it seems that when it comes to romance books there is always a picture of some unrealistic view of a man on front. Can't they find "real" men to put on the cover? Perhaps, that is the point of make-believe when it comes to romance. Just a thought.
MLT
MLT
Frequent Contributor
MLT
0 Kudos

How I tend to live by the blurbs and the summary...an a good recommendation from a friend always helps. Thanks for your response.

pedsphleb wrote:

A well-designed and chosen cover will draw the eye - the blurbs and summary do the rest. 

MLT wrote:

When I first began thinking seriously to publish my book I read alot about how important the cover of the book is. While I'm sure the covers has a certain "importance" I can't say that when I choice a book it's solely based on the cover. I tend to look at the back of the book to determine whether I would purchase it or not. I find the back is really more important than the front. What do you think?

MLT
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

MLT wrote:
I loved your response!!!!! Very in depth. Thank you for your feedback.

You are welcome.  A couple of other things.  If your book is published in multiple countries, each country's publisher will select their own cover designs.  Again, it's the mass taste involved. 

And when a hardback goes to paper, it changes, again.  Some author's, depending on the publishing company, have a certain leeway in selecting their covers.  Some are given many designs from which they choose.  Some authors don't want that involvement, and leave it up to the design department.  Some author aren't given the option to choose.

On one of my book discussions, I asked an author how her cover was selected.  She said that the design department had a stock pile of 'generic' covers, basically designed before her book was written. They simply work the title and her name around the cover.  I'm not fond of these types of covers.  I like original concepts, taken from the story, after the designer reads the story, not before.  On another discussion, I asked how the title font on the cover was selected.   It was creative and different. The author called the designer, then and there, and found out it was his own original font.  You learn a lot by asking published authors these questions.

How was your own jacket design selected?

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

MLT wrote:
I was wondering if it's just me... but it seems that when it comes to romance books there is always a picture of some unrealistic view of a man on front. Can't they find "real" men to put on the cover? Perhaps, that is the point of make-believe when it comes to romance. Just a thought.

I know exactly what you're saying. It's one of the funniest things when you see a picture of a man with unbelievably large biceps, or something else. My friend and I will actually walk through the romance section pulling out books and laughing at how unreal the man on the front looks. I keep waiting for the pictures to be real, but they hardly ever are. Then again, if it was a "real" man, he would be a model--and I don't know about you, but that's just about as unreal to me as the original picture.
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

I tend to make the decision to buy a book based on what I've read on the back cover BUT I admit it's the cover that calls to me (visually) which prompts me to read the backs. So I guess the answer is somewhat yes.
To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Scribe
debbook

Certain covers will catch my eye, but if the description on the back doesn't lure me in, then the book goes back on the shelf. I don't like cheap looking covers, it makes me think the book will be bad. But no cover can disguise good or bad writing. But I need a reason to look beyond the cover.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
Sailem
0 Kudos

MLT wrote:

My personal opinion, the reason many people read books is too escape reality (unless theyre reading biography's or non fiction) and immerse themselves in fantasy otherwise unnatainable in there lives.

im a male and even thought i dont read those kinds of "novels" if i ever did pick one up i wouldnt wanna find just a regular mediocre female on the cover.

if you wanna find regular guys you could always go to your nearest bar and find all the loosers that will try to hit on the nearest woman with functionaly genitalia.....ehh..just my point of view.

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

Sailem wrote:

MLT wrote:

My personal opinion, the reason many people read books is too escape reality (unless theyre reading biography's or non fiction) and immerse themselves in fantasy otherwise unnatainable in there lives.

im a male and even thought i dont read those kinds of "novels" if i ever did pick one up i wouldnt wanna find just a regular mediocre female on the cover.

if you wanna find regular guys you could always go to your nearest bar and find all the loosers that will try to hit on the nearest woman with functionaly genitalia.....ehh..just my point of view.

You can also escape reality by reading biographies and non fiction. At least I do, especially when I'm ready history, my fave.  

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The back of your book,and the first few pages are crucial,especially if you are a new writer to me.The Front as you know should reflect the overall feel of the book.If its a Dark Theme,then   have it pop with an interesting visual.A lighter book,should reflect that as well ,Good Luck and will you let us kno when its published
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer