Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Dream interpretation

Are dreams truly merely dreams? Or are they a gateway to understanding your soul?

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Re: Dream interpretation

That is a great question that i have been wondering about forever. I think dreams are a way to relax and have a moment to yourself. There could be two types of dreams. Ones that you can control and are about meaningless things like school. The other type is ones that you have and don't know what they mean. I think the ones that you don't know what they mean are the important ones, the ones that express who you are as a person.  
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

I think that's a good way to look at it. 'Cause sometimes I'll have totally meaningless dreams that I don't even think twice about. Others will drive me insane (such as ones I've had recently) because I'll have no idea what they mean. I guess it's all on how you look at it. For instance, lately I've acquired a strange but probable belief that all dreams have some sort of menaing--say, a reference to your religion or even a test you're afraid of taking. I also think dreams reveal little bits about issues you may be having that you never really thought about before.

-A quote by moi

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

For me, dreams are all the things that happen in your subconcious. Like when I'm stressed about school or friends, I'll dream really helpless dreams where I'm all alone or something like that.

When I'm really stressed--about pretty much anything--I tend to dream about race cars. It's the worst. It's like my mind keeps going in circles and I'm asleep and awake at the same time and the cars go around and around and around. Never stopping. It's restless and it drives me insane. I think it's telling me that I'm worrying about something and I can't get it out of my head.

When I'm happy, I tend to dream things involving balloons or fireworks. I know that sounds totally dorky, but it's what goes on in my head.

Sometimes I dream of lobsters. I have nothing to do with lobsters and rarely get to eat it, but once in a while I'll dream of playing with lobsters.

I think it's the deep recesses of your mind, when you dream. Like showing you all the things you fear, worry about, love...everything. It's weird sometimes and other times it's frightening, but hey...it's just a dream! :smileyvery-happy:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Scribe
debbook

Neither, I think they are your brains way of working out all the problems we have. They especially have a way of bringing to the surface things you thought were minor but are actually bothering you more than you may have thought. At least for me.

twilight_fanatic_01 wrote:

Are dreams truly merely dreams? Or are they a gateway to understanding your soul?

-A quote by moi

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Both of your answers I also deem interesting. I'd say debbook has a point when he/she says that dreams are the brain's way of working things out in our head. And I like Dreamer4Ever's perspective on that, as well.

I guess...dreams can be dreams, or they can be something more. It's all on the way you think about it.

-A quote by moi

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

[ Edited ]

I think that's a good way to look at it. 'Cause sometimes I'll have totally meaningless dreams that I don't even think twice about. Others will drive me insane (such as ones I've had recently) because I'll have no idea what they mean. I guess it's all on how you look at it. For instance, lately I've acquired a strange but probable belief that all dreams have some sort of menaing--say, a reference to your religion or even a test you're afraid of taking. I also think dreams reveal little bits about issues you may be having that you never really thought about before.

-A quote by moi

As far as my experience with this subject, all dreams have a meaning,  although, it just depends on the level of importance you attach to that meaning.  They're basically unresolved, or extensions of,  situations of the conscious mind.  During a relaxed, uninvolved conscious mind period during sleep, the unconscious takes over.

You have to know yourself pretty well; what triggers certain thoughts and unconscious thinking, to be able to translate dreams into something understandable.  The subconscious mind is, for most people, unchartered territory.  There are color interpretations, symbolic interpretations, situational...a myriad of subjects that come into play when trying to figure out what the heck your dreams mean.  It's been a long time since I've read up on this subject.

But once you know how it works, interpreting dreams is fascinating.  You can solve a lot of the mystery that surrounds your everyday experiences and problems, that is if you can remember your dreams once you wake up.  Some people make a habit of writing them down, as soon as they wake, or wake themselves up to remember them at that moment.  There are ways to control your unconscious mind. Or your mind can control your physical body, as well.  It takes practice.  As they say, it's mind over matter. For some people, dreams play an important psychological part in solving persistent problems in their everyday life.

Type in Carl Jung - Dreams, into the book section on B&N...or Google it, and see what turns up.  He and Sigmund Freud had different ways of looking at dreams.   I would suggest Jung. But there are  a lot of other psychologist out there, today, who have written books on this subject.

Micayla....just don't eat too much pepperoni pizza's before you go to bed! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-05-2009 03:16 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

For a young person, you are extremely intuitive. I hope that you have a special  someone in your life with whom you can share your thoughts, concerns and philosophies. You are very interesting and perceptive and you would benefit from discussing your ideas with others who share your interests or are interested in your well-being.
twj

-A quote by moi

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Thank you! I have been told time-to-time by my parents and teachers that I am articulate...but I guess when one aspires to be a writer (or perhaps an artist or musician) the imagination works in ways that are sometimes difficult to understand. A lot of times I talk to my mom about these things, because I trust her immensely, and other times my best friend.

-A quote by moi

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
You have to know yourself pretty well; what triggers certain thoughts and unconscious thinking, to be able to translate dreams into something understandable.

I really envy people for whom this is a study or a struggle. All my dreams are composed with the sort of sophisticated enigmas and shadow figures you'd expect from a precocious 8-year-old who'd just had "allegory" explained to him.