Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

Re: Dream interpretation

If you have the answer, I'll take it. I also noticed that any dream where I am at "home", home is always my parents house, not my own. Perhaps I don't want the dream boogymen to know where I live!

KathyS wrote:

debbook wrote:
I have alot of similar themes in my dreams. For instance, I can never make a phone call for help. The phone doesn't work or I can't dial. I deam that I can't remember where I work, or that I realize halfway through a semester of college that I have forgotten to go to class and I have no idea where my books or class schedule is. And I have been out of college awhile now! Sometimes I am a character in my dream and then I will become the audience. These things are very consistent regardless of what the dream is about.

Are you asking for an answer/resolution, here and now, before God and everyone?

Kathy :smileyhappy:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
If you have the answer, I'll take it. I also noticed that any dream where I am at "home", home is always my parents house, not my own. Perhaps I don't want the dream boogymen to know where I live!

OK, so now my husband thinks I'm insane as I'm laughing out loud, all alone, in the living room. That's was really funny! :smileyvery-happy:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

That happens to me, too, although I do also sometimes have dreams where I'm living in my condo.  But I frequently appear to be still living at home with my parents, and my brother lives there also, as he is not married with kids, like he is in real life.  I don't think we seem to necessarily be the age we were when we still lived at home, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
cchick
0 Kudos

dorkybookworm3,

You seem to think that there is something wrong with hobos and prostetic legs? Why?

Maybe you need to get in touch with the part of you that is poor. That may be the sificance of the hobo. As for the prostetic legs, maybe a part of you feels fake. Maybe your subconscious is warning you about an accident that may happen in the near future. 

Contributor
cchick

Paula,

That's called Lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming, also known as dream consciousness or conscious dreaming, is dreaming while being aware that you are dreaming. I've heard of people being able to do this. My friend Abbey told me that she's been able to control her dreams while she's sleeping. My sister's friend Andy has told her about his lucid dreams. I've never been able to do this myself, when I dream I'm taken away. I can't control my dreams, they control me. When I dream I feel as if I'm actually experincing what I'm dreaming about like a seperate life. I'll often think what is happening actually happened and when the morning finally comes I'm disappointed by the fact that "it was just a dream."

Contributor
cchick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dreams seem to hold significance for a lot of people but only god knows if they really do have a meaning or if they are merely just dreams. 

To say that dreams are only dreams or dreams only help to understand ourselves would only limit what else we could discover about dreams. 

I keep a dream journal where I write down the date and everything I can possibly remember about the dream. It's actually really fun and it helps me remember my dreams, so I'll dream more when I write them down. Dreams are like a seperate life. We have a conscious life and an unconscious life. When we dream our unconscious life is allowed to surface but when we are conscious we usually deny the unconscious part of us or we become scared of it. 

Lately I've been dreaming about my ex-boyfriend a lot and it'll be reaccuring. Has anyone ever had a dream like that? I think it could represent longing for love, missing love or that I want him back. I'm not sure but I think there is significance in this dream because it's been repeating itself and usually every time I remember my dream he was in it. 

I had a dream once that I was outside, in front of the garage of my house and I was chatting with some friends. My friend Abbey was sitting on top of the car that was parked on the driveway and she wanted to go inside my house but I didn't want her too. Then she said my house sucked, I was pissed so I started choking her and my brother came out of the front door with a chainsaw and sliced her head off. I don't know what this dream means but I think that the chainsaw represents repressed violence that I never allowed to express in my conscious life for obvious reasons. I think the whole dream signifies repressed anger as well. I've thought about buying a punching bag or a plastic bat to use to kill my pillow but I haven't. I probably should though. 

I think dreams hold a lot of truth about our conscious lives. It is like the subconscious is always watching us and telling us signals, the only issue is are we willing to listen to it? Or are we too scared?

I dreamed about three spiders in the shape of triangle. I was just looking at them, they weren't moving. The biggest one was on top, the smaller ones were bellow it. My sister thinks that spider represent creativity or the artistic side of us. If you dream about web and spiders it could signify that you feel caught up in something. 

If you're interested in dreams, I recommend keeping a dream journal. Every time you remember your dream write it down. Let it sink in, think about it. Maybe it has some deep signifance for you. Maybe not. Try to figure out the possible meanings that it holds for you in your conscious life. How does it relate? 

Message Edited by cchick on 04-18-2009 08:35 AM
Message Edited by cchick on 04-18-2009 08:38 AM
Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

cchick wrote:

Paula,

That's called Lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming, also known as dream consciousness or conscious dreaming, is dreaming while being aware that you are dreaming. I've heard of people being able to do this. My friend Abbey told me that she's been able to control her dreams while she's sleeping. My sister's friend Andy has told her about his lucid dreams. I've never been able to do this myself, when I dream I'm taken away. I can't control my dreams, they control me. When I dream I feel as if I'm actually experincing what I'm dreaming about like a seperate life. I'll often think what is happening actually happened and when the morning finally comes I'm disappointed by the fact that "it was just a dream."

That's pretty interesting, I did not know that. Thanks!

I'll have to work harder though, on controlling the dreams. I had a dream the other night I was shot by an arrow (I was a native american back in the 1800's) and I died. It was wierd, I actually watched myself die. I'll see if maybe next time I can make the arrow deviate slightly to the left.

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Paula717 wrote:

cchick wrote:

Paula,

That's pretty interesting, I did not know that. Thanks!

I'll have to work harder though, on controlling the dreams. I had a dream the other night I was shot by an arrow (I was a native american back in the 1800's) and I died. It was wierd, I actually watched myself die. I'll see if maybe next time I can make the arrow deviate slightly to the left.

Paula, in my experience, it's not a matter of trying to control dreams, it's a matter of letting them be what they want to be, and then interpreting them into how they relate to your real life.  There is a reason for your subconscious.  It is trying to tell you something, if you want to take the time to listen to it.  You want to experience life, not try to control every aspect of it.