Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

E-BOOK VS. P-BOOK

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: E-BOOK VS. P-BOOK

This would be an excellent article if the author wasn't so incredibly dense about certain things.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Dense about what things?
MacMcK1957

"... and only three per cent of frequent book buyers read only digital." This surprises me. I would have thought this number would be higher by now. We no longer read paper in my house.
keriflur
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:
Dense about what things?

The assumption that the nook division doing poorly automatically means B&N is dumping nook, even though the latest press release specifically says they are not.

Also, genre fiction = light reading and non-genre fiction = serious reading.

When you assume, you make an a$$ of u and me.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

MacMcK1957 wrote:
"... and only three per cent of frequent book buyers read only digital." This surprises me. I would have thought this number would be higher by now. We no longer read paper in my house.

While we read a lot of eBooks in my house, we still have a large collection of DTBs and don't plan on replacing them with eBooks unless there is some spectacularly amazing deal to do so.  Same thing goes for my parents and my wife's parents.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

While we read a lot of eBooks in my house, we still have a large collection of DTBs and don't plan on replacing them with eBooks unless there is some spectacularly amazing deal to do so.  Same thing goes for my parents and my wife's parents.

I have these too, but I don't read them as I've already read them - everything new is ebook format.  Well, everything that can be.

Maybe that's why the percent is so small - there are some books that aren't available as ebooks, so if a person buys those occasionally, they don't want to say "digital-only" on the survey.  Also, depending on how the survey was worded, people like me who sometimes buy both the ebook and the HC might not be considered digital-only either.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It could be  question of how the question is worded.  While I might occasionally read something on paper, I no longer buy it.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18

A convenient truth

[ Edited ]

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have friends/relatives who sometimes say, "Here's a really good book you should read;  I'll loan mine to you."

It's very convenient (for multiple reasons) to reply, "I only read eBooks now."

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: A convenient truth

I'm a re-reader, particularly if a new book in a series comes out that I haven't read the prior books in some years. Also, I tend to borrow books from my parents if they have a copy rather than buying a new one myself.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716