Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
2hips
0 Kudos

E-books for the kindle?

Does B&N have any E-books for the Kindle? I have a Kindle and received a B&N gift card that I'd like to use for it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Re: E-books for the kindle?

It's the holiday season, so I'll try and play nice.

The short answer: no.

Kindle uses a proprietary file format that means, with some exceptions, mostly for free content, no sites offer Kindle format books for sale.

It's all part of Amazon's plan to lock you into content from the Amazon "ecosystem."

But, B&N still offers lots of DTBs, DVDs, and other products you can use your GC for.

Heck, if you're near a store you can even use it in the B&N cafe.

New User
2hips
0 Kudos

Thanks, I really didn't think there would be, just thought I'd ask! 

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Return your piece of crap Kindle and buy a Nook, you'll be much happier!

Reader 2
TEGriffin
0 Kudos

I believe you may be able to now download the nook app on your Kindle and can use it to read e-books from Barnes & Nobles as long as Amazon hasn't removed the app from their store. Unfortunately, as previously noted this is a problem unique to Kindle as Amazon uses a proprietary format for their books, although they may eventually (if they don't already) support the standard epub format. 

If the app is no longer accessible, you're more than welcome to send the gift card to me, I'll put it to good use.  :smileyhappy:

Anybody with more familiarity with Kindles please chime in, my mother-in-law just got a Kindle and I know I'll be asked to help set it up.  Since we're a B&N family, I know absolutely nothing about them. 

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

TEGriffin wrote:

I believe you may be able to now download the nook app on your Kindle and can use it to read e-books from Barnes & Nobles as long as Amazon hasn't removed the app from their

This is only for the Kindle Fire -- you cannot install the app on any other Kindle. The app is not in their store, but you can sideload it.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

I don't own a Kindle or a Nook (and I'm playing hooky at work), so I'm really speaking out of turn here, but I wonder . . .

Do you suppose you could:

1.  Download the B&N app to your PC (I know this part is possible, because I've done it);

2.  Buy B&N books that you download to your PC from B&N;

3.  Use a product like Calibre to translate them into Amazon's format;

4.  Sideload them to your Kindle??

I know that must sound like an awful lot of work, but it might be worth it.  If you decide to try it, please let us know how it works.  Thanks!

Jeff  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

3.  Use a product like Calibre to translate them into Amazon's format;

This is technically not legal if the books are DRMed.  It's simple, but it violates the DMCA.  

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

From what I saw of direction, if the Amazon book is DRM'd Calibre wont do it.. You need to strip off the DRM (which is illegal) and since no 1 app does this, it took like 4 or 5 apps to clense the DRM, then you were ready to put into Calibre.. So you would need to process each and every book through about 6 apps to get it into a Nook..  You would have to be a pretty dedicated Pirate..

New User
kajpb29
0 Kudos

PEOPLE HELP ME! I have a simple touch nook,and when i registered i skipped the credit card info. I NEED HELP to get tht back so i can purchase books! HELP!