Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Ebooks, Impulse, and Immediacy

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Ebooks, Impulse, and Immediacy

If they can get the wishlists to work better then they can have it both ways.

I do think e books encourage impulse buys. That is one of the reasons I feel older books would benefit from more discounting, people will buy for later consumption, often much later, occasionally never.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing the link gb18.

I wish the author had gone into some more detail.

It also makes you wonder. Why don't B&N and Amazon have something like.

You bought this, now get X% off for next in series.

And things like that.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I fall into that category of buying eBooks for much later (or maybe never) consumption. Of course, nearly all of my purchases are of heavily discounted eBooks (or even free Ebooks). I think I have somewhere around 450 eBooks in my Calibre library right now, and nearly all of them are on my NST. At the rate I have been reading since getting my NST, it would take me about 10 years, without ever downloading another eBook.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

According to Goodreads I have 647 books, and I've read 231 of them.  And Goodreads doesn't have the few hundred reference books in my house (yet - I've got them scanned, I just haven't added them).  I'm definitely in the later/never category.  :smileyhappy:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Thanks for sharing the link gb18.

I wish the author had gone into some more detail.

It also makes you wonder. Why don't B&N and Amazon have something like.

You bought this, now get X% off for next in series.

And things like that.

They do this all the time, except in reverse ("Here's the first book in the series cheap, now you want the rest of them at full price!").

Actually, ever since they started showing the Daily Finds on the home screen of the Shop on the HD series NOOKs I've been impulse buying like mad. It's really odd for me, as my parter loves to say, I always need to think about purchasing something for at least a week before I'll actually spend money on it.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'll buy up the books from authors I enjoy, but with authors I'm just trying out I may buy one of their books or I may just ask around amongst the people I know who read in that genre about the book and author.

That being said I should probably start curbing my purchasing until I clear some of my books off my to read list.  Though I do like having books, even if they are ebooks rather than physical copies.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.