Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

European Google / Android complaint

http://www.slashgear.com/fairsearch-europe-files-complaint-with-antitrust-regulators-against-ygoogle... Duh, this is what every computer company does with a dominant product. Europe is different, but unless Google blocks non Google products from the home screen or blocks consumer removal this can't go far can it.?
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: European Google / Android complaint

I think it's the implication that Google is pressuing manufacturers to put their apps on homescreens that's getting the attention. Microsoft got in trouble by loading up MSIE on the homescreen, so I can see similarities.

Personally, I'm glad the euros are looking at this sort of thing. I remember AT&T and IBM being broken up. Looking at Amazon, I have to wonder if that might have been a good idea.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I think it's the implication that Google is pressuing manufacturers to put their apps on homescreens that's getting the attention. Microsoft got in trouble by loading up MSIE on the homescreen, so I can see similarities.

Personally, I'm glad the euros are looking at this sort of thing. I remember AT&T and IBM being broken up. Looking at Amazon, I have to wonder if that might have been a good idea.

I do not believe that IBM was ever "broken up."  Can you cite a supporting source for this assertion? 

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deesy58 wrote:

I do not believe that IBM was ever "broken up."  Can you cite a supporting source for this assertion? 

A poor statement on my part. They were investigated and taken to court for years by DOJ. While never formally broken up as the Bells were, I recall the pressure was behind their unbundling of software and services. The EU has pressured them as well.

I was probably equally incorrect in saying "AT&T" was broken up, now that I think about it. They were Bell Telephone at the time, weren't they? I'm getting old.

Sustitute "investigated for monopolistic practices" for "broken up".

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

AT&T was actually broken up, separated into several (five?) regional phone carriers, a separate national long-distance carrier (which kept the AT&T name), and Bell Labs, that became Lucent.

IBM was just forced to open up their standards and contracts, to allow others to make and market compatible hardware and peripherals.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

AT&T was actually broken up, separated into several (five?) regional phone carriers, a separate national long-distance carrier (which kept the AT&T name), and Bell Labs, that became Lucent.

IBM was just forced to open up their standards and contracts, to allow others to make and market compatible hardware and peripherals.

Don't forget Western Electric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Electric

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is a really interesting case. There is precedent that running preinstalled applications as defaults out-of-the-box is heavily illegal in Europe. M$ even got brought up on this and had to pay fines as recently as last year for "browser choice" in Windows. I don't think Google will be able to get out of that part of the case and end up having to slightly fork Euro Android to provide "default choices" during setup the way M$ did for Windows (and pay some fines).

However, the people making this case are not only attacking preinstalled defaults, but the entire idea that Android is distributed free of charge. They're effectively saying that by giving away Android for free ("selling it below production cost" as the complaint says) Google is making it impossible to compete against them. That is worrying - a ruling against Google would therefore kill open source software, which a huge amount of our current technology is based on. While things like HTML would be safe, what about distributions of Linux that are distributed for free by profit seeking companies (Red Hat for instance) or things like MySQL that are developed by a profit-oriented company but released freely. It's a dangerous thing.

So it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

FlyingToastr, I think they are attacking the wrong thing.

They should not be attacking the software being free.

Or Google profiting from it.

They should be attacking the illegal and unethical things Google does around it i.e.

1) Blackmail companies into not using other OSes. They did this with Acer or Asus where they made them drop the Aliyun OS.

2) Using the power of the default to make their own services the default and hiding other providers.

3) Data harvesting, most of which is illegal in Europe.

etc. etc.