Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

FIRST EDITION VS 2nd EDITION NOOK

I have some family members I would like to buy NOOKs for and want your opinion on which you like better.  I have the First Edition Nook, which I like but the tiny touch screen drives me nuts sometimes.  I've read that some people don't like the square screen on the 2nd Edition NOOK.  So tell me, which would my family members like better?  I value your opinion so give me the real pros and cons.  Thanks, JT

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: FIRST EDITION VS 2nd EDITION NOOK

[ Edited ]
The size and shape of the eink screen on the N2E is exactly the same as that of the N1E. The lack of said touchscreen makes it seem squarer but it isn't. I love my N1E and am probably keeping it until it dies, but N2E is exactly what I think N1E should have been, so I vote N2E.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

AVID-JT wrote:

I have some family members I would like to buy NOOKs for and want your opinion on which you like better.  I have the First Edition Nook, which I like but the tiny touch screen drives me nuts sometimes.  I've read that some people don't like the square screen on the 2nd Edition NOOK.  So tell me, which would my family members like better?  I value your opinion so give me the real pros and cons.  Thanks, JT

How technical are the family members?  I resisted getting my mom one until the N2E came out.  She's ok using a computer but has to have very detailed instructions for most things and gets frustrated easily, so as much as I like my N1E and will also keep it until it dies, I believe the N2E was a better choice for her.  No touch screen and scrolling to deal with and the N2E doesn't do much more than be an eReader.  No browser to deal with, no music files, just turn it on and select a book.  She uses library books, so she also doesn't have to worry about My Documents vs My B&N Library with the N2E.

It's also lighter and since she has arthritis in her hands (she's 82) it was a good choice for that reason.

As Ya_Ya said, the reading screen itself is the same size, it's just the device is square. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for the wonderful input.  The Nooks would be for my older son and his wife who are PhDs in their 30's, and my for my younger son and his wife who are brand new English Lit. teachers.  They all love to read and I know they would love to have one.  It sounds like I'll be buying 4 N2Es.  I still love my First Edition and will keep it until it dies.  You guys are Great.  Thanks for your help!  JT

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I vote for the N2E. I loved my N1E, but I just got the new one and can't believe I love it more. It is exactly what I wished the N1E was when I first got it. The screen is the same size, but it is easier to hold without the extra length at the bottom. It's also noticeably lighter. I have have a lot of pain in my hands, even though I'm only in  my mid-thirties, so losing those few ounces is really nice.

My 2 older kids are now happily sharing the N1E. Actually, my 7 year old daughter is reading Dr. Doolittle on it right now.