Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Finally an article proclaiming the Color to be first!

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: Finally an article proclaiming the Color to be first!

Good article, the author had a good command of the facts and history -- how the heck did it ever get published?
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

It has always infuriated me that the Color is so ignored. That tablet changed the game. If only B&N hadn't removed the 3d party app capability, what might have been......

Yes, it did get rooted and turned back into a real tablet but that didn't have to be.  Oh well. It was still the first.

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Erm... where does it proclaim the NC to be first? It's a chronological listing, and the NC is not the first device described. As I recall, the SGT was available a couple of months before the NC.

The article is spot-on with its description of the NC: "... The Nook Color had several positive effects on Android and Android tablets. The big one: price. Today we expect 7-inch devices to cost less than $250." That's pretty significant. No need to over-reach on the claims of being 1st. The NC is what I bought because I couldn't afford the Samsung GT!

Anybody know offhand what those even-earlier Android tablet attempts were? The Samsung is the 1st non-Apple tablet I recall reading about (and lusting after).

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

GB, are you mixing up the NC and the Nook Tablet here?

"the Color is so ignored. That tablet changed the game. If only B&N hadn't removed the 3d party app capability"

I don't remember the Color having had 3rd party app capability and then having it removed.

The article gets it right, though, that the galaxy tab was available before the nook color was. 

I had not understood that the g tab was the first tablet device to have an official release of the Play store.  I thought that was pretty interesting. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

roustabout: I don't remember the Color having had 3rd party app capability and then having it removed.

As far as I know, it didn't. That's why I bought an N2A card for the one I had (bought it in the summer of 2011) and bought the Tablet when it came out - because it did have the capability when it was first released.