flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,868

Google Play Books lets you upload and synch your own EPUB files

Google I/O started today, and one of the big announcements was an update to a lot of their Play services. Play Music got the biggest redesign, but they also updated Play Books with a couple cool new features.

One of the best is the ability to upload your own EPUB or PDF files (DRM free only) directly to Google's servers. Those books will then automatically synch to all devices you have Play Books installed on, including last-page-read. You can upload a maximum of 1000 titles with a maximum size of 50MB.

Though I'm still not a huge fan of the actual reading software for GPB (in particular the loading screens on page turns even when the book is downloaded onto the device), this is certainly a nice feature.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Google Play Books lets you upload and synch your own EPUB files

flyingtoastr wrote:

Though I'm still not a huge fan of the actual reading software for GPB (in particular the loading screens on page turns even when the book is downloaded onto the device), this is certainly a nice feature.

What are you running Play Books on?  I've found that the phone apps are lacking in a big way, but the iPad app is on par with B&N (aka it's very nice).

I wonder if the docs will be available in the web app.  This could be a pretty nice feature.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,868
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

What are you running Play Books on?  I've found that the phone apps are lacking in a big way, but the iPad app is on par with B&N (aka it's very nice).

I wonder if the docs will be available in the web app.  This could be a pretty nice feature.

Uploaded books are available in the web reader as well.

I've tried it both on my HOX and my NOOK HD+, and each time I get to the end of a chapter I get a loading circle for a few seconds before the next page shows. Not sure if it's because of the pictures (there are illustrated headings for each chapter in the books I tested it with), but it rather annoys me given that I've never had that problem with any other platform.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, this is a good move. I was wondering why it didn't get more coverage. It seems it got a little bit lost in all the other news.

Contributor
Jonny_Greenwood21
0 Kudos

I guess that is because Google Play books doesn't download and store the entire book into your reading device, might chapter by chapter, theremore there are some lags when you entering next chapter.