Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
doncr

Google to Unveil New $199 7" Quad-core Nexus-7 Tablet

Pricing aimed at the Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/this-is-googles-new-nexus-tablet-the-nexus-7/

As rumoured, Google’s going to announce a 7-inch, Nexus-branded tablet called the Nexus 7. According to the leak, it’s built by Asus, with a 1.3Ghz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, GeForce 12-core GPU and 1GB of RAM with two different storage variants: 8GB and 16GB.

The Nexus tablet will also feature NFC and run Google Wallet (probably only in the US) and Android Beam.

The screen is an IPS display with a 178-degree viewing angle, running a resolution of 1280 by 800. The device will also sport a 1.2 megapixel front-facing camera. The battery will also give you 9 hours worth of operation.

The 8GB model will set you back $US199 and the 16GB will cost $US249.

Time to just say "no" to proprietary eReaders?  Anyone considering buying one of these?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Google to Unveil New $199 7" Quad-core Nexus-7 Tablet

I won't be getting one, but then I've no real use for a tablet.  Between my NST and my Vaio P all my portable reading/computing needs are covered.  I am curious to see how the increase in smaller tablets plays out for the more proprietary tablet makers.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Vaporware is vaporware until it's in your hands.

Remember the iPhone 5 from last fall? Yeah. How'd that work out for everyone?

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur:  I am curious to see how the increase in smaller tablets plays out for the more proprietary tablet makers.

My guess is harder on B&N than Amazon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

keriflur:  I am curious to see how the increase in smaller tablets plays out for the more proprietary tablet makers.

My guess is harder on B&N than Amazon.

I wonder if that might not be so bad for B&N (though they'll need to sort out pricing when the agency model goes away).  Granted, I haven't tried the tablet apps, but the B&N android phone app is IMO a lot nicer than the kindle one.  They do need to get the sync working properly though.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Someone else has suggested that their reading app is really what B&N should be focusing on instead of the device market, and I think they might be right. I think they found an unexplored niche (7" form factor for a tablet) with the Color; but now that other manufacturerers are moving into the niche, I'm not sure how long they can continue competing - especially as the demand in the niche seems to be more for a general-purpose tablet than an ereader with benefits.

If they were to ask me for advice, I would suggest that they keep making the Color and Tablet, but turn most of the entertainment content for them over to third party providers instead of trying to do it all themselves. They don't have the resources to imitate Amazon, and I think it's a mistake to continue trying. Partnering with well-known content providers would allow them to focus on their reading software for the devices and apps and (hopefully) make their reading experience (however it was experienced) the absolute best of the bunch. Video streaming content could continue to be handled by Netflix and Hulu+ as it currently is. Video rentals and app content could be handled by a partnership with Google Play. Music content could be handled by adding a partnership with Spotify to their current partnership with Pandora since it covers the music-on-demand aspect that Pandora doesn't.

(Yeah, I know. The above is just a dream. There are probably dozens of legal issues that will keep it from ever happening. But one can dream; right?) 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

If they were to ask me for advice, I would suggest that they keep making the Color and Tablet, but turn most of the entertainment content for them over to third party providers instead of trying to do it all themselves. They don't have the resources to imitate Amazon, and I think it's a mistake to continue trying. Partnering with well-known content providers would allow them to focus on their reading software for the devices and apps and (hopefully) make their reading experience (however it was experienced) the absolute best of the bunch. Video streaming content could continue to be handled by Netflix and Hulu+ as it currently is. Video rentals and app content could be handled by a partnership with Google Play. Music content could be handled by adding a partnership with Spotify to their current partnership with Pandora since it covers the music-on-demand aspect that Pandora doesn't.

Been doing a bit more thinking about this (love figuring out answers for other people's problems; they're so much easier to figure out than my own) and wanted to add that I would suggest they keep their app store, but carry only book and educational apps. That would fit in with their new emphasis on reading and provide an easy, first-look place to look for those wanting educational-type apps for their kids. 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

My one and only experience with Google Play was "The Suq" in today's vernacular. I still love my Nexus phone but I'm completely uninterested in their Nexus tablet.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Nexus 7 Review: $200 For the Best Android Tablet Around

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

flyingtoastr wrote:

Vaporware is vaporware until it's in your hands.

Remember the iPhone 5 from last fall? Yeah. How'd that work out for everyone?

Vaporware now available for pre-order:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258983/google_nexus_7_tablet_on_sale_staples_takes_preorders.html

http://www.staples.com/Nexus-7-/product_949984

Freedom is not free.