Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Hardcover price war

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Hardcover price war

Frequent Contributor
The_Walrus_43
0 Kudos

Wow Hardcover Prices lower than Kindle Ebook prices...

Frequent Contributor
byter67

No doubt Amazon has been taking DTBs prices upward. I have over 50 books on my Amazon wish list dating back to last January and all but 2 or 3 have escalated in price since first being added. B&N prices for these same books are even higher in almost every case. I notice that Overstock requires a $50 purchase in order to qualify for free shipping, The book clubs (Doubleday, Literary Guild, etc.) have been undercutting Amazon prices for some time (for physically slightly smaller but full content member editions) but recent renovations to those web sites are resulting in a less than optimal shopping experience compared to how the sites previously functioned. Order fulfillment is also casual to say the least. I find myself buying more eBooks than ever and use BookBub as my daily email guide to highly rated discounted digital buys from several sources including B&N.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

byter67 wrote:

No doubt Amazon has been taking DTBs prices upward. I have over 50 books on my Amazon wish list dating back to last January and all but 2 or 3 have escalated in price since first being added. B&N prices for these same books are even higher in almost every case. I notice that Overstock requires a $50 purchase in order to qualify for free shipping, The book clubs (Doubleday, Literary Guild, etc.) have been undercutting Amazon prices for some time (for physically slightly smaller but full content member editions) but recent renovations to those web sites are resulting in a less than optimal shopping experience compared to how the sites previously functioned. Order fulfillment is also casual to say the least. I find myself buying more eBooks than ever and use BookBub as my daily email guide to highly rated discounted digital buys from several sources including B&N.

Hmm.  Do the posts in this thread appear to refute the oft seen refrain on these boards that Amazon is going to totally take over the retail book business because of its ability to sell books at a lower price?   Perhaps Amazon is more vulnerable than some thought.  Food for thought ...

keriflur
0 Kudos

byter67 wrote:

No doubt Amazon has been taking DTBs prices upward. I have over 50 books on my Amazon wish list dating back to last January and all but 2 or 3 have escalated in price since first being added.

Were these titles backlist or frontlist when you added them?

Is it possible the increases you're seeing are in line with inflation?

bobstro
0 Kudos

I was surprised to read that it was Overstock that fired the first shot. I'm not surprised that Amazon responded, given the nature of the campaign, but it is a bit absurd to see the ebooks selling at higher prices than hardcovers.
Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Of those books on my DTB Wish List, one decreased in price by 7.6%, 5 prices remained unchanged. Of the remainder, price increases range from 1% to 36.5% with an average price increase of 14.2%.

I am on a path to purchase about 200 books this year, so following prices closely is a priority for me.

Not sure what you mean by frontlist or backlist. Books were added on dates they came to my attention since January of this year. Virtually all are new or fairly recent publications.

Sorry - my DTB Wish List contains about 25 books (the total varies daily) and it is my eBook Wish List that tops 50 titles.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

Frontlist titles are the newest releases from a publisher; backlist titles are books that are at least a year old, but still sell well enough to keep in print. The terms come from the publishers catalogs which would have a list in the front of the catalog with all their new titles, and a separate list in the back of the catalog with their older titles.

Keri's question about whether the books were frontlist or backlist has to do with frontlist titles usually being more heavily discounted than backlist titles, and those discounts decreasing as the book moves from frontlist to backlist status.
keriflur
0 Kudos

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1017_3-57595970/overstock-aggressively-challenges-amazon-on-book-prices/

From the cnet article:

"We are already 9 percent cheaper than Amazon on other products," Byrne answered. "We have better customer service, and we're nicer people."

Wow. Overstock's really going for it.