Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SX0T
0 Kudos

Help finding a Time Travel book!

This is a call for help from the Barnes & Noble army!

I remember encountering a book at Barnes & Noble a while ago and for the life of me cannot remember the title and cannot find a reference to it anywhere on Amazon or B&N.com. I've googled every possible combination of words to find a reference to it and nothing has turned up.

Maybe you can help?

Here's what I know.

It is a book about time travel. Fiction. Possibly about a man who invents a time machine for a certain reason. It is, I think, a 2009 novel (possibly 2008, definitely not 2010). It was promoted around B&N as a "Featured Book" around the time that they were pushing Time Traveler's Wife because the film was just about to come out.

Anyone remember seeing this or might know what I'm talking about?

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Help finding a Time Travel book!

Hmmm....

I did all of my store's promos for the TTW movie tie-in edition and I don't recall another time-travelling-type novel featured as cross-promotion...

Do you remember where in your local B&N this was featured?  Was it one of our B&N Discover Great New Writers?  Or was it featured in a section of the store, like with other SF/Fantasy or Fiction new releases?

SX0T wrote:

This is a call for help from the Barnes & Noble army!

I remember encountering a book at Barnes & Noble a while ago and for the life of me cannot remember the title and cannot find a reference to it anywhere on Amazon or B&N.com. I've googled every possible combination of words to find a reference to it and nothing has turned up.

Maybe you can help?

Here's what I know.

It is a book about time travel. Fiction. Possibly about a man who invents a time machine for a certain reason. It is, I think, a 2009 novel (possibly 2008, definitely not 2010). It was promoted around B&N as a "Featured Book" around the time that they were pushing Time Traveler's Wife because the film was just about to come out.

Anyone remember seeing this or might know what I'm talking about?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Given your description, this is highly unlikely, but the time travel book that comes to my mind is

Time and Again by Jack Finney 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
joseph-d
0 Kudos

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Accidental-Time-Machine/Joe-Haldeman/e/9780441016167/?itm=1&USR...

The description of your book sounds similar to this one from a 2008 reprint of Joe Haldeman. In fact I think it sounds pretty dead on. 

I'm guessing you don't mean the book version of the TTW or the classic Time Machine by HG Wells. I'm sure those would have been promoted too.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

joseph-d wrote:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Accidental-Time-Machine/Joe-Haldeman/e/9780441016167/?itm=1&USR...

The description of your book sounds similar to this one from a 2008 reprint of Joe Haldeman. In fact I think it sounds pretty dead on. 

I'm guessing you don't mean the book version of the TTW or the classic Time Machine by HG Wells. I'm sure those would have been promoted too.

Joseph_D -- great suggestion! 

As a new user, you may like to know about the Add Product feature.  If you click on it when you are creating a message, it will help you add the Barnes and Noble link and image for a product.

The Accidental Time Machine  by Joe Haldeman

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
SX0T
0 Kudos

I thought at first it was Accidental Time Machine, but when I read the description I no longer thought that was the correct book.

As for where it was at in the store - I remember it was located on a table NEAR the Time Traveller's Wife stuff. It wasn't like it was a direct part of the promotion of that book - more of just "let's put this out in the open because someone might see it and bet interested".

I'm pretty sure it was near like a "featured books" or a "new authors" kind of a setup, but it defnitely was not mixed in with the regular "sci-fi/fantasy" section.

And it definitely was not The Time Machine. In fact, I do not think it was a reprint of anything at all, rather a new book. I could be wrong about the description of a man who invents a time machine. It may have just been about a person who time travels (didn't necessarily invent). I for some reason feel like in the description it talked about him meeting someone famous from history as well (ala Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) although I don't think the book was a comedy.

Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

I can think of two possibilities. These are recent but not new releases.

The Light of Other Days  

Timeline  

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Doomsday Book  I

To Say Nothing of the Dog  

Blackout  

Connie Willis writes some Time Travel Books. It doesn't sound like To Say Nothing of the Dog which is the only one I've read. Could it be Dooms Day Book? (a friend has read it and LOVED it and has also just finished Blackout and said the same thing). 

Oh, I've also read Timeline . Well, listened to it on audio. And it was fantastic. If you do commutes for work or are taking a long drive somewhere I highly recommend it (the unabridged version).