Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: How B&N encourages customers to become price-checking sideloaders

I'd say I'm a die-hard capitalist too. I just don't have a problem with smaller businesses standing side-by-side to keep from being run out of business by someone who would apparently like to be the only game in town - and are willing to do whatever it takes to knock everyone else off the playing field.

I suspect bklvr896 is correct though. Now that the mechanism has been put into place, I would imagine the most that will happen is a fine and things will continue on as they have been. Surely the DOJ can't make publishing companies sell their books to Amazon if they don't want to.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Amazon is an anathema to "real" capitalism anyway. 

Monopolies are bad.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

bklvr896 wrote:
If Amazon goes back to loss leading the eBooks, especially the best sellers, there isn't another retailer that can compete in the long term.

Hello, Amazon, meet Google.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,004
0 Kudos

Google e-books

keriflur wrote:

The thing is, Google's been selling e-books for over a year (they started in December 2010), and have managed to sell very few e-books. Their market share is so small that they're usually not even mentioned in news stories about the e-book industry, and the e-book search engines InkMesh and AddAll don't bother to search them. Google "back-burnered" their e-book store last July, taking their development staff off of it, and now has removed the word "ebooks" from it entirely: it's part of "Google Play" along with music, movies, and Android apps.

It would appear that wireless downloading is a "must have" for a successful e-book store. Even Pottermore worked arrangements for wireless delivery to Kindles and NOOKs. Dealing with Adobe Digital Editions just isn't palatable for the masses.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Google e-books

Doug_Pardee wrote:

keriflur wrote:

The thing is, Google's been selling e-books for over a year (they started in December 2010), and have managed to sell very few e-books. Their market share is so small that they're usually not even mentioned in news stories about the e-book industry, and the e-book search engines InkMesh and AddAll don't bother to search them. Google "back-burnered" their e-book store last July, taking their development staff off of it, and now has removed the word "ebooks" from it entirely: it's part of "Google Play" along with music, movies, and Android apps.

It would appear that wireless downloading is a "must have" for a successful e-book store. Even Pottermore worked arrangements for wireless delivery to Kindles and NOOKs. Dealing with Adobe Digital Editions just isn't palatable for the masses.

Android has 50% of the smartphone market and their tablet share is growing, and every single one of those devices has google books installed, so I don't see how they don't have wireless downloading.  I've had no trouble wirelessly downloading their books to my computer, my phone, etc.

IMO the move to put the books into Google Play was a good one.  I didn't realize that they were selling ebooks before they did that - I thought they were just digitizing commons books.  The store is easy, especially for anyone with an Android phone, as it links in with your Google account.

I believe that if Google wanted to push the ebooks, they could, and they could be very successful at it.  But right now, what's the incentive for them?  Market share is determined on device and reputation only, not price.  But if there was a price war, Google could clean house.

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

Re: Google e-books

keriflur wrote:

I believe that if Google wanted to push the ebooks, they could, and they could be very successful at it.  But right now, what's the incentive for them? 

You'd be surprised what sort of infomation would be worthwhile to a marketing firm.  Knowing which books, newpapers, magazines you choose to read (and pay to do so) is more valuable than most people realize.