Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

How can I credit my local store when I buy B&N ebooks online?

I've been thinking a lot about the future of bookstores. I travel frequently, and I always enjoy hitting a bookstore when I can. We have a B&N not too far away that I also like to frequent. Too often, though, I'm "showrooming" in that I'll probably end up buying an ebook online. It strikes me that B&N should provide some way for the local shop to get credit for helping me decide to buy from the B&N mothership online.

Other than buying while in a B&N store, is there some way I can get them credit, recognition, or use some sort of afficiate link for my online purchases? I don't see any sort of "home bookstore" entry in my B&N profile. Surely they're trying to correlate store visits to ebook purchases in some way? Alternately, is there a way to buy ebooks from the brick-and-mortar stores?

Part of this is motivated by something I read at indiebound.org regarding buying locally. I'm sure they'll scream at the idea of mentioning this on a B&N forum, but most of indiebound's' reasons to shop local apply to buying at my local B&N. The only one that might not is the first: "Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43." Is there a difference between "a national chain" and "a local store that belongs to a national chain"?

I've started seeking out local shops with Kobo affiliations so they get some credit when I buy from Kobo. Is there any way to do the same when I buy from B&N?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924

Re: How can I credit my local store when I buy B&N ebooks online?

BN retail stores can ring ebooks through our POS system like we would any other item. All we need is the EAN (which we can look up), your account email, and however you want to pay for it. The POS system then autogenerates a unique access code that you then have to punch in here, and the book will be added to your NOOK library.

It's a rather convoluted process so people rarely, if ever, take advantage of it. Since all stores have a free WiFi network it's simply easier to just purchase the book directly on the device than much around with access codes and such. But if you purchase it through a register the sale does show up on the store's flash, and does contribute to that particular store's bottom line and payroll, so it's a very nice thing to do if you're there.

I was really hoping that the HD series devices would smooth this process out. There are all sorts of ways they could have done it - putting an NFC chip in the devices that you can "pop" over the pinpad, which would then immediately push the content to the device's account, would be my ideal solution. Even just putting in a screen on the device itself for code redemption would have been a step in the right direction.

But c'est la vie, I'm not in charge of strategy, which seems to be pushing as hard as possible to marginalize the stores in preperation for the big "make the investors rich and screw the employees" split.

keriflur
0 Kudos

You can add a store to your profile by selecting the Stores and Events link in the top nav, and then selecting My B&N Stores.

Toastr - Do you know if this info is tied to purchases in any way, even just an informational way?  My guess is that it's not.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I would think if you purchased an e-book in-store that the IP address would show that.  From there the local store could get some sort of credit.

►Without order there is chaos◄
flyingtoastr

keriflur wrote:

Toastr - Do you know if this info is tied to purchases in any way, even just an informational way?  My guess is that it's not.

It does not. To the best of my knowledge buying over the WiFi of a BN store doesn't credit the store either. The only method I'm sure of is manual ringing through the store's POS.

bobstro
0 Kudos

That's good to know, FT. While I tend to buy on impulse at odd hours of the night, I will try to defer gratification long enough to wander into a B&N near wherever I happen to be. I just hope the counter staff knows what the heck I'm talking about. Would it be better to approach the NOOK counter staff first and let them assist?

The bummer is, I just made a half-dozen purchases in the last week. I wish I'd known about this.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

There is absolutely no way I would negate the convenience of buying a book online by waiting on a line in a brick and mortar retail store.  I avoid lines like the plague and unless I actually got some sort of bonus for waiting in a line it's just not going to happen for me voluntarily.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN retail stores can ring ebooks through our POS system like we would any other item. All we need is the EAN (which we can look up), your account email, and however you want to pay for it. The POS system then autogenerates a unique access code that you then have to punch in here, and the book will be added to your NOOK library.

Thanks for the info FT.  I wish I'd known that info before -- I will make a concerted effort to do my ebook purchases at my local store this way.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

That's good to know, FT. While I tend to buy on impulse at odd hours of the night, I will try to defer gratification long enough to wander into a B&N near wherever I happen to be. I just hope the counter staff knows what the heck I'm talking about. Would it be better to approach the NOOK counter staff first and let them assist?

"Officially" everyone knows how to do it.

Given that most of the employees at my store hear the word NOOK and just tell customers to "go find Thomas", I would say your best option is to hit the counter first.

Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

If you want to support the local store, just buy gift cards from them. Then use the gift card instead of a credit card. They won't get "credit" for the books, but they'll have the cash which will directly help the store's bottom line.