Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: How can I credit my local store when I buy B&N ebooks online?

YaYa, this is very true -

We all do what we think is in our own best interest; some of us just have diffferent scopes in which we define that.

Based on what I've seen in all the countries and places I've lived in, it seems to me that

Every Approach is just a strategy. There's not really any inherent good or bad in any strategy.

So one customer might say -

1) Helping my local store stay strong provides me a convenience and helps the people working there who help me.

So I'll help them.

Another customer might say -

1) Helping my local store is good because any good you put into the universe comes back to you in one way or another.

A third customer might say -

1) What do I care. Whether or not they are in business makes no difference to me.

And all three are perfectly right. They have different notions/understandings of what's best for them and for the world in general (or they don't care about the world in general). And everything works out.

If the world was full of only altruistic people it'd be rather boring.

And if the world only had people who were 100% self-interested then it would be a rather cold place.

Neither is ideal.

I think we need all types of attitudes and people so that the balance is maintained and so that every person's approach stands out for what it is.