Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

How many calls to CS does it take to fix a problem?

[ Edited ]
I am out of ideas. Shorter version..... I keep gift cards on my account to avoid lots of small charges for books on my credit card. On March 14 books began being charged to my credit card even though I had a gift card on my account with plenty of balance. Out of country so emailed cs..... No response by time I returned to country in early April so called CS. Gift card had been pre authorized for purchases but purchases has not been completed on gift card and charged to credit card. Pre authorizations though had not been released so I could not use the remaining balance on that card. Promised pre-authorizations would be cancelled in 24-48 hrs. 72 hours later pre-authorizations still there. Called again, promised this time would really fix.....in 24 hrs -48 hrs 60 hrs later still no fix, called again.....this time told would credit my credit card back. This they did by crediting charges apparently randomly against books I had purchased... Asked if this would cause problems accessing them.... Promised several times would have no impact on my access to any books in my library... Yesterday, go to download a book, cannot, flagged as not paid for - was, you guessed it, one of books credit card charges reversed on.... Spent 30 min on hold waiting for CS before cut off at 11 eastern, on travel, stuck at airport..... Really want to read book, emailed CS to now response 15 hrs and counting) Long story.... Too depressing.... Have spent more than 4 hrs on phone in various calls...... Any ideas? Tried calling my local b&n directly since they n Know me well...( to go to an actual store would require a three hour drive on snow packed roads after I land) but told have to work with online service ......
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Same as the number to change a light bulb.

[ Edited ]

Five.  One to hold the light bulb, and four to turn the chair.

Sorry, old joke.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: How many calls to CS does it take to fix a problem?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any solution. Some people are getting a similar problem (although more problematic) - double charges.

I think going to a store or contacting one of the B&N people on the forums is your best bet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

I finally got this fixed...kudos for the good suggestions.....in the meantime though I have discovered that all ereader apps on the ipad are pretty equivalent...... I would like to help keep b and n around but they do not seem to want to make it easy
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

While the reader apps may be equivalent, keep in mind that the related stores are not. Both Kindle and iBooks use proprietary DRM that locks you to their apps. Something to think about when you're choosing what to use and who to buy from.

Reader 4
fairydragonstar
0 Kudos

There are programs you can use to strip out the DRM so you can use them on any epub Ereader...pain in the butt to do but then you can read on an alternative device 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'd agree that all ereader apps on ipad are very similar. The only ones doing anything innovative were Stanza and 1 other app. STanza got bought and put to rest by Amazon I think.

Keriflur's point is important.

If you get something like Kobo then books you get will also be readable on Nook and other ePub supported eReaders.

However, Amazon is not compatible. And B&N's version of Adobe DRM is supported by Adobe but not by most ebook device makers.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

The DRM issues with some vendors are why I was one if the first purchasers of a first gen nook... I have been very loyal to Barnes and Noble..... But comparing the possible irritation of not being able to put a book I am reading using an app on a nook e-ink device compared to the current irritations of needing multiple calls to CS to fix a double billing problem and then not being able to read books bought from b&n on my nook because CS messed up the fix which took even more time away from reading.... I am going to be doing a lot more side loading of books from other vendors in the future....
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I actually just ordered a Kindle Paperwhite over the weekend.  It should be arriving tomorrow.  If I like it I'm switching to it.  I've been a strong supporter of B&N based on the Nook (not on their stores) but I've seen too many authors that I read (JR Konrath, Lawrence Block and a few others) make their e-books available exclusively on Kindle at least when they are first released.  

Additionally if I purchase something on Amazon for my Kindle app I actually get relevant book recommendations unlike B&N which continuously recommends irrelevant books.

Also I'm a Prime member so I should be able to borrow new books for an unlimited time as well.

Soon enough I will find out how life is in the Amazon world.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

I will be interested in hearing about this.. especially adding in the ease of browsing the amazon web site compared to finding the occasional mystery between erotica and cowboy comics on the B&N site....