Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4

Re: How many calls to CS does it take to fix a problem?

[ Edited ]
I got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday. My NST, which I preordered at its release, stopped holding a charge after 14 months. I have to say, I love my Kindle. I prefer the way its screen is lit over the GlowLight, and I love having a capacitive touch screen. I, too, am a Prime member and I've been enjoying the lending library, limited though it is. I also listen to audiobooks and one of my favorite things is that I often get a discount on the kindle book when I buy the audible book and they will sync with each other.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Always interesting to see how many people who skewed BN for "controlling their content" are more than willing to put up with Bezos' "proprietary everything".

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Always interesting to see how many people who skewed BN for "controlling their content" are more than willing to put up with Bezos' "proprietary everything".

For the record I have never complained about B&N controlling their content.  That said I have never taken advantage of epub purchases from other bookstores either.  So as far as I'm concerned  B&N may as well be proprietary as well.  

I have never had an issue with Amazon that they didn't solve immediately and as I previously said I do have Prime with them.  To be fair I've never had an issue with B&N either that couldn't be solved quickly either.  But when I buy a Lawrence Block book I don't need a recommendation for a Harlequin Romance the next time I go on the website and that has happened to me here.

It must be nice to be so closeminded that you can't comprehend that another company may possibly be doing this better than B&N...

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
I got a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday. My NST, which I preordered at its release, stopped holding a charge after 14 months. I have to say, I love my Kindle. I prefer the way its screen is lit over the GlowLight, and I love having a capacitive touch screen. I, too, am a Prime member and I've been enjoying the lending library, limited though it is. I also listen to audiobooks and one of my favorite things is that I often get a discount on the kindle book when I buy the audible book and they will sync with each other.

Hi Nallia,

I don't listen to audiobooks but since owning my very first Nook I've always gone to Amazon for book recommendations.  I love the Nook and still do but the B&N website and recommendations leave so much to be desired that I need to actually give a Kindle a try.  Maybe I'll stay with the Nook but I sincerely doubt that will happen.  I can accept being surprised though... :smileywink:

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Hypatia1 wrote:

I will be interested in hearing about this.. especially adding in the ease of browsing the amazon web site compared to finding the occasional mystery between erotica and cowboy comics on the B&N site....

I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised.  The Kindle Paperwhite is comfortable to hold (on a par with the NSTG), shows the last 3 books you have opened rather than just one, has the light come on every time without a prompt (but you can't turn it off completely) AND (this one is a biggie for me) it allows you to sync sideloaded books between devices...

I honestly didn't expect it but software-wise the Paperwhite is a much better experience than the Nook.  I admit, though, that I'm not thrilled with the ads showing up in the screensaver but I don't stare at the screensaver anyway so I can live with that.  I bought a $3.95 sleeve cover for it and I'm fine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The not turning off, the ads, the proprietary format, those are the deal breakers for Kindle for me.

I like my NSTG.  I'd be tempted to try a Kobo if I could play with one in a store, but apparently they just aren't in retail stores in the US (at least according to Kobos website).  The Kobo Aura looks very nice.  But I don't buy electronics product unseen unless I've had a relationship with the manufacture already. 

Syncing between devices is a non-issue for me.  I've got one NSTG, it's lightweight and holds a charge for a long time.  Even then the charger for it is also lightweight. 

I would like the ability for it to display the last few books I've opened.  And for it to remember the last few pages I've been in when hopping around within a book.  But those are fairly minor for me.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

I have seen Kobo readers at Best Buy in the US!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Someone should tell Kobo that, their site only shows the ability to buy from them for the US, at least for the models I'd checked.

Maybe I'll head to my local Best Buy and check them out.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Hmm. I spent an hour checking the Kobos out at a Best Buy in St. Paul in April. I'm finding links to Kobos at BB when searching, but most links in the BB web site appear to be broken. I'm not really sure what their status is now. I'd call the store before making a trip. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Hmm. I spent an hour checking the Kobos out at a Best Buy in St. Paul in April. I'm finding links to Kobos at BB when searching, but most links in the BB web site appear to be broken. I'm not really sure what their status is now. I'd call the store before making a trip. 

I'd actually meant to reply on just that topic.  I check BBs site and found it nigh impossible to get Kobo products to come up.  Googling did yield some results but it seems like it was all just a front end on the BB site with no actual product.

I didn't make the trip out, though it's a fairly short walk, 30mins both ways.  Interestingly they do have Kindles on their site.  I wonder what's soured them from the Kobo.