Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: How many calls to CS does it take to fix a problem?

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Hmm. I spent an hour checking the Kobos out at a Best Buy in St. Paul in April. I'm finding links to Kobos at BB when searching, but most links in the BB web site appear to be broken. I'm not really sure what their status is now. I'd call the store before making a trip. 

I'd actually meant to reply on just that topic.  I check BBs site and found it nigh impossible to get Kobo products to come up.  Googling did yield some results but it seems like it was all just a front end on the BB site with no actual product.

I didn't make the trip out, though it's a fairly short walk, 30mins both ways.  Interestingly they do have Kindles on their site.  I wonder what's soured them from the Kobo.

Before I bought my NST I checked out several different eReaders at BB.  I don't remember off hand if Kobo was one they had on display or not, but Sony was there.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Someone should tell Kobo that, their site only shows the ability to buy from them for the US, at least for the models I'd checked.

Maybe I'll head to my local Best Buy and check them out.

Kobo is sold at indy bookstores. My favorite local indy sells them. They are in the process of relocating, but their website indicates they will still be selling Kobo readers ( only the glow and mini right now) when they reopen next month. I greatly dislike the Kobo website. It's one of the big reasons I'm hesitant to buy a Kobo, though I really like their readers. Kobo is at the top ofmy list right now. Truthfully, I probably won't buy a new eink reader till my NST dies unless they get really cheap and the kids really need another one.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

frantastk wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Someone should tell Kobo that, their site only shows the ability to buy from them for the US, at least for the models I'd checked.

Maybe I'll head to my local Best Buy and check them out.

Kobo is sold at indy bookstores. My favorite local indy sells them. They are in the process of relocating, but their website indicates they will still be selling Kobo readers ( only the glow and mini right now) when they reopen next month. I greatly dislike the Kobo website. It's one of the big reasons I'm hesitant to buy a Kobo, though I really like their readers. Kobo is at the top ofmy list right now. Truthfully, I probably won't buy a new eink reader till my NST dies unless they get really cheap and the kids really need another one.

This is why I vastly prefer the in store experience, and I actually tend to do the opposite of what a lot of people do.  I browse online for a few models of something I want/need and then go to the store to check them out and buy them. 

I will not buy an ereader site unseen.  It's something I'll spend a large portion of time using, it need to be something I'm comfortable with, and all the pictures in the world wont tell me if that's the case.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mercury Glitch

I buy so much stuff online. However, I have to agree with you. For things like eReaders which you'll use a lot, and for things like jeans and clothes. Always best to try them out in person.

I have a pair of the most amazing jeans in the world right now - except they never fit.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
So, I feel like an idiot, I got another b&n gift card as a gift and decided to try again.... Now they are both billing my gift card and putting a hold on what they bill.... Since the holds never get cancelled I am back to paying double.... Talked to CS again who promised me they would fix problem in 12-24 hrs.....apparently I am only expected to buy one book a month.....unbelievable..... I am not going to bother renewing my membership with B&N I can get used to ordering dtb on line as well......