Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

How many magazine formats are there, and when do they change?

[ Edited ]

I've subscribed to Popular Science and Discover for months, and have had no issues reading them on my NST, along with Asimov's and Analog. I also have an "enhanced" Conde Nast Wired subscription that only works on my NOOK Color/Tablet devices. In a fit of reorganizing, I wiped my NST clean. Unfortunately, I just assumed B&N would hold my back issues for me, so I didn't bother copying the files off to a safe place.

Today, when I open the NST Library program on my NST, I see my back issues of Analog and Asimov's just fine, but only a single cover of Discover. When I click on that cover, I get "This item is not currently available for download to the product you are using." Popular Science doesn't even show.

Using NOOK for PC, I see all the covers, but get "This title is not currently available for download for this application (2138)."

Both Discover and Popular Science do appear in the NOOK for Android app, and I can download and view them on that device just fine, but this is the first time an "enhanced" title has worked there, but not on my NST. My "enhanced" Wired subscription doesn't even show in the NOOK for Android list. I checked the Discover page on the B&N web site, and sure enough, support for the NST has disappeared. 

There now seem to be at least three magazine formats:

There's this "new enhanced" format that Discover (Kalmbach) and Popular Science (Bonnier) seem to have converted to. It is:

• Compatible with the NOOK for Android
  • Compatible with the NOOK Tablet & Color readers
  • Not compatible with the NOOK Simple Touch (anymore)
  • Not compatible with NOOK for PC

There's the "enhanced" format used by Wired (Conde Nast) that is:

• Not compatible with NOOK for Android
  • Not compatible with the NOOK Simple Touch
  • Not compatible with NOOK for PC

Then there's the "plain old epub" format that is:

• Compatible with NOOK for Android
  • Compatible with the NOOK Simple Touch
  • Compatible with NOOK for PC

My frustration is that Discover and Popular Science seem to have converted from "plain old epub" to "new enhanced", and all issues, old and new, are only available on the new short listed readers.I can no longer access them on my NST. I really like those magazines for outside reading, but I didn't notice any warning that they'd no longer work on the NST.

1. Have I missed something?
  2. Does anybody know any tricks for getting at least the back issues in plain format?
  3. Did anybody see an announcement or warning for NST users?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: How many magazine formats are there, and when do they change?

Rather than using Nook for PC, did you try logging into your online account and seeing if the magazines are still there?  Can you archive and unarchive them if they still are? 

No, I didn't see any notice about the change, but don't get those magazines either.  At this point, I just stay away from anything published by CondeNast because I personally don't care for that "mag/app" thing.  Prefer the epub file.  It's because you can't put a bookmark in an app, have to start over at the very beginning each time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Rather than using Nook for PC, did you try logging into your online account and seeing if the magazines are still there?  Can you archive and unarchive them if they still are? 

Yes, I did try that. I can access the back issues on the NOOK Android app, but not my NST.

No, I didn't see any notice about the change, but don't get those magazines either.  At this point, I just stay away from anything published by CondeNast because I personally don't care for that "mag/app" thing.  Prefer the epub file.  It's because you can't put a bookmark in an app, have to start over at the very beginning each time.

I am afraid that these publishers are going the same way, or at least part of that way. They act like enhanced Conde Nast titles on the NOOK Android app, but at least they work there!

I'd love to be wrong on this.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

It would be nice if the magazine publishers would give you a choice, epub or app. 

Interestingly enough The Week used to be only available on NC and NT (so was an app? appeared to be anyway)  Now available on Nook for ipad/iphone, Nook for Android and Nook for PC so appears to be epub. We get the paper version delivered so I haven't really tried it out (since no free corresponding subscription for Nook that I can find.)  But The Week ipad app (on itunes, not nook) is definitely an app the last time I played with it.  So at least one magazine publisher is recognizing that not everyone wants all the "interactive" info!